What do think of this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do think of this one?

I was browsing craigslist last night and spotted a hawk semi close to me. The whole rear of the car is in primer and it's got a goofy continetinel kit on the trunk. but it looks llike the car is pretty solid otherwise. new body mounts, new trunk pan, new fenders all round. fiberglass repros in the front. All this body work says some hidden rust to me, but it also looks like good work was done, the owner seems like a real honest guy, and he's an sdc member. it's about four hours away. it runs and drives pretty good, except it needs an alternator or generator. I'm really interested in it the price is close to right, what's under the hood s really what gets me about it, champion six...... I want a car that has some real scoot to it so that would have to say goodbye down the road, but would do for now. I hope a few of you have maybe seen this car, and could tell me if it's worth the drive up there. I would really really......really apreciate some advice from my fellow forum members. Here's the link http://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/3785479562.html

I'm liking this one. It will still put you in the hole in the long run but looks like it got MUCH BETTER bones! Go for it, it will get you in the Studebaker market.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Are you sure that goofy continental kit is not the accessory sold by Studebaker for the Hawks and I think the sedans?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Not a fan of a flathead 6 from a performance/drivability standpoint as we are all acustomed to modern cars with much more power. I would take a good look at the frame being that everything else has been repaired/replaced.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          Are you sure that goofy continental kit is not the accessory sold by Studebaker for the Hawks and I think the sedans?
          Yeah it's not original he's known the car since 72' and a buddy/past owner installed it off a plymouth. The six is the only thing stopping me from buying it. flat six and three on the tree....ugh I would wanna swap to a 289/BWT10 combo down the line.

Comment

Go for It!! GT..........

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              Not a fan of a flathead 6 from a performance/drivability standpoint as we are all acustomed to modern cars with much more power. I would take a good look at the frame being that everything else has been repaired/replaced.
              I'd rather give 3500 for your hawk.....if you'll deal

Comment

Didnt the Packard Hawk have that "goofy" continental tire on the trunk ??
                Be an interesting to see the old 185 livened up a bit .. Maybe some polishing the intake and exhaust , mill the head , dual carb, split header type of deal .
                Be something different to see then the usuall V8 hawks ..
                Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                  Be an interesting to see the old 185 livened up a bit .. Maybe some polishing the intake and exhaust , mill the head , dual carb, split header type of deal .
                  Triple side draft webers, triple exhaust, could be fun. But I'm power hungry.

Comment

Dan I still have not put a price on the 61 4 speed yet, the engine is stuck some from sitting so still soaking it for a few more days to see if it will free up....Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      Dan I still have not put a price on the 61 4 speed yet, the engine is stuck some from sitting so still soaking it for a few more days to see if it will free up....Bob
                      Yes Bob this is only prospective of course. the price is close and it's close to me, those are it's main fine points. but that 61 4 speed would be a dream come true. As I gushed in my PM to you about it. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open just to see what pops up. I'm not going after anything this or next week. Then I get another pay check, which will make a real difference. I've close family in hospital right now so a road trip to waterloo isn't in the cards they're out and I know are OK.
                      Last edited by GThawkwind; 05-19-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

That Hawk would have come with the little 170 cid flathead six. Maybe you know that it was exchanged for a 185.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

i'd check this one out in person - for the usual rust underneath issues, etc.

i understand your feeling about wanting a V-8, but it does have overdrive so that will help greatly going at "interstate speeds". the 185 vs. a 170 will also help a bit.

as others have stated, there are items available to "soup up" the 6. i'm thinking about going that route in the '51 this winter instead of dropping a Stude V-8 in her.
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I thought the Hawks came with a 185 and not the 170 engine ??
                            I dont know anything about the car except from what I read here ..
                            So I could have mislead in saying that its a 185 ..
                            A souped up 6 would be cool to see though ..
                            Love my Lark

Comment

I thought the Hawks came with a 185 and not the 170 engine ??
                              I dont know anything about the car except from what I read here ..
                              So I could have mislead in saying that its a 185 ..
                              A souped up 6 would be cool to see though ..
                              From 1956 thru 1958, they did. In 1959 in the interest of fuel economy, the six reverted back to 170 cubic inches. Domestically, it was the only year one could buy a Hawk with that size engine.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X