PDA

View Full Version : What class SDC judging?

Studebaker Wheel
05-16-2013, 12:41 AM

I am hoping to bring my latest acquisition to the Intl meet in Colorado Springs. Just curious as to what judging class that I would be in?

HAWK64
05-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Dick,
Just ask the Studebaker armourments expert Larry Tholen who will be at Colorado Springs.

stude dude
05-16-2013, 02:20 AM

I am hoping to bring my latest acquisition to the Intl meet in Colorado Springs. Just curious as to what judging class that I would be in?

Do you have the ammunition?

Chris.

Studebaker Wheel
05-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Do you have the ammunition?

Chris.
Of course, never leave for a show without it.

kurtruk
05-16-2013, 04:12 AM
Any darn class you want!! (You have the means to settle any arguments!) :ohmy: :eek:

BobPalma
05-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Don't all horse-drawn Studebaker "vehicles" go in the same class, Dick? :rolleyes:

(At the 1999 Warren OH Packard Centennial, a fellow had a huge, Packard-built radial WWII aircraft engine mounted on a trailer with a large cage around the propellor. Every so often, he would fire it up for what immediately became a huge crowd!) :!: BP

unclemiltie
05-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Looks like Dick found a way to blow away his competition.

Chris Pile
05-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Dick, Just ask the Studebaker armourments expert Larry Tholen who will be at Colorado Springs.

Larry got all HIS info from Dick...

Studebaker Wheel
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I plan to drive the Holt and tow the other units. From Mokena to Colorado Springs only 1064 miles. Should make it in 11/2 days I think. The camouflage will hopefully make me invisible to the state troopers.

Roscomacaw
05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Modified. That's a non-standard paint job on this particular example. If you're going to contend that the coloration was not applied by the customer or some intermediary, you'd want factory documentation of this particular scheme.

M15 Trucker
05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I plan to drive the Holt and tow the other units. From Mokena to Colorado Springs only 1064 miles. Should make it in 11/2 days I think. The camouflage will hopefully make me invisible to the state troopers.

The state troopers wont see you and not because of the camouflage, they'll think your just some shrub ridge or a big rock as they zoom pass you. BTW what is the top speed of that Holt? About 12?

Roscomacaw
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
The state troopers will be confused - thinking: "I didn't know there was an NRA gathering goin' on!"

RadioRoy
05-16-2013, 03:17 PM
You will be in the "big shot" class.

Studebaker Wheel
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Modified. That's a non-standard paint job on this particular example. If you're going to contend that the coloration was not applied by the customer or some intermediary, you'd want factory documentation of this particular scheme.

Bob; I am quite surprised that you would imply that I would deviate from original. I believe this image should set you straight!

studegary
05-16-2013, 09:13 PM
[

This is a trick question. The answer is "none". I know that you do not enter vehicles to be judged.

DEEPNHOCK
05-17-2013, 07:46 AM

If it is pointing the right way.....any class you want:rolleyes:

jclary
05-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Something about an old saying..."A lot of bang for your buck" comes to mind.

Regardless...owning and operating that thing should be a BLAST!:rolleyes::ohmy::)

JBOYLE
05-17-2013, 12:47 PM
You have a permit for that? Better check local regs for Colorado... :)

Chris_Dresbach
05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
I'll haul the ammo on the Turtle ;)

Roscomacaw
05-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Bob; I am quite surprised that you would imply that I would deviate from original. I believe this image should set you straight!

OK - if, in fact, you had it repainted by THOSE gals, I'll not protest.

Studebaker Wheel
05-18-2013, 06:23 PM
OK - if, in fact, you had it repainted by THOSE gals, I'll not protest.

Would I lie to you???

PlainBrownR2
05-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Now, will this be a solitary unit, or will you have others with as you will be traveling with military convoy while carrying this piece? :rolleyes:

Studebaker Wheel
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Now, will this be a solitary unit, or will you have others with as you will be traveling with military convoy while carrying this piece? :rolleyes:

If I don't run out of camouflage paint I will have additional units. Trying to get the directional signals hooked up tonight.

kurtruk
05-18-2013, 11:51 PM
If I don't run out of camouflage paint I will have additional units. Trying to get the directional signals hooked up tonight.

That's easy: GEE and HAW!

StudeDave57
05-18-2013, 11:54 PM
(At the 1999 Warren OH Packard Centennial, a fellow had a huge, Packard-built radial WWII aircraft engine mounted on a trailer with a large cage around the propellor. Every so often, he would fire it up for what immediately became a huge crowd!) :!: BP
That is a new on one me!!! I knew of the license-built Rolls Royce 'Merlin' V-12s, and boat engines of their own, but I have NEVER heard of any radial aircraft engines comin' from Packard. :ohmy: :yeahright:

I wonder if it was bigger or smaller then the radials Studebaker was building?

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Chris_Dresbach
05-19-2013, 12:44 AM
That is a new on one me!!! I knew of the license-built Rolls Royce 'Merlin' V-12s, and boat engines of their own, but I have NEVER heard of any radial aircraft engines comin' from Packard. :ohmy: :yeahright:

I wonder if it was bigger or smaller then the radials Studebaker was building?

Yup, they did and I believe that they were actually diesel engines rather than gas. I think they were a little smaller but roughly the same size as a Studebaker-Wright R-1820. Packard built some unusual stuff over the years. They even had an airfield in the infield of their Proving Ground test track, so they had the means to test aircraft parts.

StudeDave57
05-19-2013, 12:14 PM
This is a trick question. The answer is "none". I know that you do not enter vehicles to be judged.
But it wasn't always like that-- RQ's Champ managed to get 3rd place in the Senior Class at the Meet in South Bend- in 1978. I just happened to be looking at the November 1978 TW or I'd never know that. (lottsa nice looking trucks were there that year, BTW)

Yup, they did and I believe that they were actually diesel engines rather than gas. I think they were a little smaller but roughly the same size as a Studebaker-Wright R-1820. Packard built some unusual stuff over the years. They even had an airfield in the infield of their Proving Ground test track, so they had the means to test aircraft parts.
Being the aviation geek that I am- I'd sure like to know more about all of this.
The internet is proving to be useless, Where should I be looking?

Sam Ensley
05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Just bring it and display it. It will be a blast. Looking forwrd to seeing it.

M15 Trucker
05-20-2013, 10:41 AM
But it wasn't always like that-- RQ's Champ managed to get 3rd place in the Senior Class at the Meet in South Bend- in 1978. I just happened to be looking at the November 1978 TW or I'd never know that. (lottsa nice looking trucks were there that year, BTW)

Being the aviation geek that I am- I'd sure like to know more about all of this.
The internet is proving to be useless, Where should I be looking?

Did you try Googling "Packard radial diesel aircraft engine"? I did and it gave me a list of web sites and wikipedia has Packard Dr-980 engine photos and info of same.

StudeDave57
05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Did you try Googling "Packard radial diesel aircraft engine"? I did and it gave me a list of web sites and wikipedia has Packard Dr-980 engine photos and info of same.
Obviously not- or I would not have posted what I did.

Now that I have I see that it wasn't from WW2 at all... :rolleyes: :ohmy:

:oops: