Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15-5 rims for Speedster Wheel Covers - Need Tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 15-5 rims for Speedster Wheel Covers - Need Tubes?

I'm looking to mount the 15" rims required for the Speedster wheel covers on my '58 hawk. I have the correct rims, bought new radial tires, and now have the wheelcovers. I bought the tires from Lucas, and they along with some other Studebaker collectors told me that I would not need tubes with these rims and radial tires. I took the car to a local tire shop where they do work on older cars, and they are telling me that I need to use tubes and liners with these rims. I think the main reason is that the holes for the valve stems are slightly larger than today's standard, and the next size up (3/4") is too big. I think they believe tubes would elimate this problem. They also think that the way the rim is welded woudl tend to leak. I think that these rims are not welded any differently than the standard 14" rims that came on the car and which currently have radials mounted to them.

Has anyone else run into a similar issue? Thanks.

My 15" Stude rims don't require tubes. I'm using steel valve stems to stop the wheelcovers from walking on the rims, but "speedster" covers bolt on. Go to a different tire shop.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

They absolutely DO NOT have any idea what they are talking about. Go to you Auto Parts Store and buy the correct large dia. valve stems, I prefer the short ones that do not come out way beyond the Wheel Cover, take them to them and get 'er done!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm headed to the auto parts store and a different tire shop.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceD View Post
          I'm looking to mount the 15" rims required for the Speedster wheel covers on my '58 hawk. I have the correct rims, bought new radial tires, and now have the wheelcovers. I bought the tires from Lucas, and they along with some other Studebaker collectors told me that I would not need tubes with these rims and radial tires. I took the car to a local tire shop where they do work on older cars, and they are telling me that I need to use tubes and liners with these rims. I think the main reason is that the holes for the valve stems are slightly larger than today's standard, and the next size up (3/4") is too big. I think they believe tubes would elimate this problem. They also think that the way the rim is welded woudl tend to leak. I think that these rims are not welded any differently than the standard 14" rims that came on the car and which currently have radials mounted to them.

Has anyone else run into a similar issue? Thanks.
          What kind of a tire shop told you that? As StudeRich says, larger valve stems are no problem. 1955 was supposedly the first year that rims were made for tubeless tires, but I have tubeless tires on my '53 on the original rims and they have never lost air.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks everyone. I picked up my car and went to NAPA and they had the correct valve stems hanging right on their rack. Got the tires mounted without problems the next day at a different shop. They look great!

Comment

Attaboy! Take some pictures with the speedster caps? I have a set for my 55 commander. To clean them up I have a fairly mild acid used for chrome fawcetts and sinks. May soak em overnight and see how they shine.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
              X