• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker champ truck with diesel

It has a mercedes motor.

Looks like it might have possibilities.

Arizona.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Somebody had a purple Champ with a diesel at the South Bend meet recently. I took a couple of pics that I'll post later. Not sure what brand engine was in it but it was interesting.

Comment

Stephen Cade once owned a Champ with a Detriot 353 in it.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Same setup that I have in my 63 Champ The engine is a Mercedes 300D 5 cyl. Durable but noisy mine gets good fuel milage (about28mpg) I use the truck as my daily driver shagging parts for the repair shop so doesnt do any heavy hauling. I always kid people that all my buddys have diesel pickups so I have to keep up with them.haha DMc

Comment

I like it! Weren't Studebaker and Mercedes sold at the same dealership? I think that the Mercedes engine works well for this truck as the Champ/Lark and Hawk's grills always made me think of a Benz.

Comment

We had a 240D for a few years. Engine lasted longer than the chassis. I guess a Champ (Lark) engine bay would be adequate to fit one in, I would have thought the diesel from the 190 series (2.3?) would be smaller and easier to install, but that's just my imagination, without a doubt.

The death knell for our 240 was while it was in for a fuel pump issue ($450 Refurbished f/p, not NOS, in 1988!), there was also a problem with the suspension. Turns out an A-arm had cracked, but that attachment point on the frame, when the mechanic looked was too rusted to reattach! Good ole Ohio road salt did its job on that car. We didn't have too many problems with that powertrain, but it taught us the fact that diesels may not need repairs as often as gas engines, but when they do, BOAT.

Comment

One of our local chapter members has a VW diesel in his m series pickup, it is a real nice ride
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

This Champ looks like it has the 240 engine although he states it's a turbo. I haven't seen a turbo 240D but based on my wifes car when it had the 240 engine it was so slow you measured 0-60 with a calendar! I replaced it with a 300D turbo that made the world of difference. I would use that engine in a Champ, better torque & power. How's yours Dean?
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I believe it is the five cylinder turbo motor. There is plenty of room for one of these. For heavens sake a fellow stuffed a 392 hemi in a 53 coupe!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean McHenry View Post
                    Same setup that I have in my 63 Champ The engine is a Mercedes 300D 5 cyl. Durable but noisy mine gets good fuel milage (about28mpg) I use the truck as my daily driver shagging parts for the repair shop so doesnt do any heavy hauling. I always kid people that all my buddys have diesel pickups so I have to keep up with them.haha DMc
                    How did you handle the Transmission/ driveshaft issue? I considered putting a M/B engine and trans in a Lark. I disscused this with a M/B mechanic. He told me the driveshaft attatches differently on a M/B than most any other car.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

He is correct. The benz driveshaft is two piece with a fully independent suspension in the rear so it does not really have any ds angle change to speak of. Still it has a rubber donut with six bolts on the back of the tranny and same at the diff with a small u joint in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                        Somebody had a purple Champ with a diesel at the South Bend meet recently. I took a couple of pics that I'll post later. Not sure what brand engine was in it but it was interesting.
                        I spoke with the guy with the purple or burgundy Champ pickup when he pulled a heavy duty trailer into my motel's parking lot with it on Friday night in South Bend. He lives in New York and installed a 5-cylinder Mercedes in it himself. I didnt see the Champ with the hood open though and I forgot the fella's name.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          I spoke with the guy with the purple or burgundy Champ pickup when he pulled a heavy duty trailer into my motel's parking lot with it on Friday night in South Bend. He lives in New York and installed a 5-cylinder Mercedes in it himself. I didnt see the Champ with the hood open though and I forgot the fella's name.
                          Ted Jensen. He has a long history of completely rebuilding Stude pickups, then driving them around the country and using the snot out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                            Here's the pics I took of the champ.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's sweet! Is that fellow a member here? I'd love to have a conversation with him about that truck!

Comment

Working...
                              X