Popping out of Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Popping out of Gear

Whenever I go downhill and I shift into second to slow down the car, it pops out of gear, unless it's shifted into gear at a lower rpm, any ideas on why or how I can fix this? Thanks.
    Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

Of course, check the linkage adjustment.

But, probably a second gear syscro going out.

Take the transmisson out and put in new syncros, or for a super CASO job, swap the third and second gear syscros. Really, just put in two new syncros and you will have a wonderful inprovement in the transmission.

Comment

Yes, Don is correct, replace the syncrhos. Had this problem with my 62. Had transmission gone over, shifted like new.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I hope adjusting the linkage will fix it for you. But often, popping out of gear is a symptom that the bell-housing is out of line with the engine, which eventually leads to worn input shaft bearing. The worse the bearing becomes, the easier it pops out of dear. T86 and T90 trannys are especially prone to this problem; T85/89s and T10s are almost immune to it, due to heavier bearings and gears.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 05-13-2013, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Also check the input shaft end play. there is a thrust washer between the front bearing, and the gear. If too much end play is present it will cause popping out of gear. (It allows slop in the synchros)
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 57Kelii View Post
            Whenever I go downhill and I shift into second to slow down the car, it pops out of gear, unless it's shifted into gear at a lower rpm, any ideas on why or how I can fix this? Thanks.
            All of the presented ideas are good, but I think of what my father told me about 58 years ago - brakes are cheaper than transmissions.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

See they tell me all these things as if it's common knowledge I wish I could do it myself but our school (nor really any school) had a auto shop class. These days when the light comes on...you take it to your dealer. After all you can't even change the sparkplugs or jump a modern car....messes it up and stuff.
              Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

Comment

Working...
              X