Determine year of Truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determine year of Truck?

Hi, I recently purchased a 2R5 Studebaker Pickup. I don't have a title yet and I'm trying to determine the correct year of the truck. I believe it to be a 1951, but I'm not positive. The Serial# is either R52I884 or R521884. I'm hoping someone can help me or direct me where I need to go to check it out. Thanks for your help.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Here's a thread that will help you somewhat, until somebody can come forward with a definitive year for you:

Also, you can read the engine number from the front left side (at top) of the block. If it's the original motor, that was probably the number used to register the truck back in the early 50's. The best I can offer on the number is to point to one of the Tech Help pages on this site. Rather than give you a link, I'll tell you how to find the page, so you can discover some other goodies on this site, as well:

1) Click the "Home" link in the upper right area of this page.
    2) Click the "Tech Tips, Specs and Data" link in the left side menu of that new page (the SDC Home page).
    3) Near the top of the list of help pages, click the one called, "Studebaker 6 Cylinder Engine Numbers"
    4) In that list, you'll at least see a few series of starting numbers for 170 cu. in (and one for the 245 cu. in) motors used in trucks between 1949 and 1953. 1R-001, 2R-001, 3R-001 & 4R-001(for the bix six 245 cu. in models). Of course, you mentioned that your truck is a 2R-5, so it will have the 170 cu. in.

Beyond that, you can contact the Studebaker National Museum and pay for a "build sheet" that will tell you all there was to say about your particular truck's beginning, including the year built (and I presume, the model year). How to get in touch with the Museum? Remember that page that had the links in the left side menu (SDC home page)? Look for one called "Valuable Links". The Museum is one of those links.

Good luck, and show us some photos of your truck!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Hi Gary,

Here's a thread that will help you somewhat, until somebody can come forward with a definitive year for you:

Also, you can read the engine number from the front left side (at top) of the block. If it's the original motor, that was probably the number used to register the truck back in the early 50's. The best I can offer on the number is to point to one of the Tech Help pages on this site. Rather than give you a link, I'll tell you how to find the page, so you can discover some other goodies on this site, as well:

1) Click the "Home" link in the upper right area of this page.
      2) Click the "Tech Tips, Specs and Data" link in the left side menu of that new page (the SDC Home page).
      3) Near the top of the list of help pages, click the one called, "Studebaker 6 Cylinder Engine Numbers"
      4) In that list, you'll at least see a few series of starting numbers for 170 cu. in (and one for the 245 cu. in) motors used in trucks between 1949 and 1953. 1R-001, 2R-001, 3R-001 & 4R-001(for the bix six 245 cu. in models). Of course, you mentioned that your truck is a 2R-5, so it will have the 170 cu. in.

Beyond that, you can contact the Studebaker National Museum and pay for a "build sheet" that will tell you all there was to say about your particular truck's beginning, including the year built (and I presume, the model year). How to get in touch with the Museum? Remember that page that had the links in the left side menu (SDC home page)? Look for one called "Valuable Links". The Museum is one of those links.

Good luck, and show us some photos of your truck!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Your model is a 2R5, a 1/2 ton truck on a 112" wheelbase with the Champion 170 CID motor that was manufactured between the 1949 and 1953 model years. As the serial number for the vehicle is 21884 (Studebaker used an "I" as a "1") it would be a 1949. The serial numbers for 1949 trucks ranged from R5-001 to R5-42500.

When you get your title you may find that it does not match the truck serial number as many states titled based on the engine number. As Paul pointed out, you may want to visit the Studebaker Truck Talk page for more information.

Comment

Your model is a 2R5, a 1/2 ton truck on a 112" wheelbase with the Champion 170 CID motor that was manufactured between the 1949 and 1953 model years. As the serial number for the vehicle is 21884 (Studebaker used an "I" as a "1") it would be a 1949. The serial numbers for 1949 trucks ranged from R5-001 to R5-42500.

When you get your title you may find that it does not match the truck serial number as many states titled based on the engine number. As Paul pointed out, you may want to visit the Studebaker Truck Talk page for more information.

Comment

Gary,
            Welcome to the Forum! Strongly suggest that you join the Studebaker Driver's Club ( http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/aboutsdc.asp )to get the most out of your ownership... You'll find a great group of folks willing and able to provide advice and information if you need it.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Gary,
              Welcome to the Forum! Strongly suggest that you join the Studebaker Driver's Club ( http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/aboutsdc.asp )to get the most out of your ownership... You'll find a great group of folks willing and able to provide advice and information if you need it.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar
              3E-6/7-122
              </h5>

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Your truck may be titled, if your state has/had titles, by either the serial number or the engine number. Some vehicles, especially if the engine has been changed, have had their VIN changed to the serial number (from the engine number). Your truck can be considered a 1949 model, but it may be titled as something later. If the truck wasn't originally sold new until the 1950 or 1951 model year, it may have been titled as a 1950 or 1951, even though by manufacture it is a 1949. As mentioned, Studebaker used an "I" for a "1".

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Your truck may be titled, if your state has/had titles, by either the serial number or the engine number. Some vehicles, especially if the engine has been changed, have had their VIN changed to the serial number (from the engine number). Your truck can be considered a 1949 model, but it may be titled as something later. If the truck wasn't originally sold new until the 1950 or 1951 model year, it may have been titled as a 1950 or 1951, even though by manufacture it is a 1949. As mentioned, Studebaker used an "I" for a "1".

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X