Rebuilt Delco Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Rebuilt Delco Generator

I drive a '61 Hawk and plan to replace the generator. I got a great price on a 12 Volt Delco, with the red metal Delco Remy tag identifing it as "Factory Rebuilt", and further identifies it as "No. 61-U", and also "12 Volt". The Studebaker Shop Manual indicates that the correct generator for '61 Hawks is 1107899. I have two questions if anyone can help. What does 61-U refer to? And, is this generator usable with my '61 Hawk? It looks identical to the one I wish to replace. Thanks!

If it looks identical and the price is good, I would go for it.

61-U might be a rebuilder code. The industry often gives their own code number to a unit, so they can use a generator in a number of different applications. For instance, the generator on a 50 Commander is the same as a 50 Chevrolet. They would carry the same rebuilder code number.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

1107899 is a Delco number, but it's for a starter. 61-U is Delco's number for a rebuilt generator, and it is correct for your car (and several other makes too).
      You might think about replacing the regulator too, and replacing the battery cables or at least removing them and shining up the ends.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The problems with cables are INSIDE the insulation, and INSIDE the terminal to cable connection.
        The OUTSIDE of the terminals and the OUTSIDE of the cable may look good.
        If the conductors inside are corroded [and you don't or can't see it] the cable is useless.
        The best cables are oversized, with mechanically crimped on or soldered on terminals.
        With a weatherproof shrink tubing [ the type with an internal coating that smushs out when it shrinks] over the terminal to cable connection.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, your responses helped me immeasurably

Comment

This forum is one of the greatest resources any Studebaker owner (and some other makes for that matter) can have! Lots of helpful people here. Glad it worked out for you.

Joe

Originally posted by Badger View Post
            Thank you gentlemen, your responses helped me immeasurably
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Working...
            X