1950 champion coil spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 champion coil spring

Me and my dad are working on a 1950 champion and doing a full restoration or the car. My question is what is the best way to put the coil springs back in place?

Read the shop manual.

I don't mean to sound snotty, but there is no way you should be taking apart and reassembling a car without the Studebaker shop manual, the chassis parts manual, and the body parts manual. Studebaker manuals are among the best that exist. They have all been reprinted and are inexpensive.

Replacing front springs is dangerous. There is a tremendous amount of energy stored in them when they are compressed. Make sure you know what you are doing and anticipate what could go wrong.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-12-2013, 12:05 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

We have the shop manual and they say to use a studebaker compression tool. Since I have no clue where to get one of those now days we tryed using a coil spring compression tool we had on hand. The only problem is that we can compress the spring but it's getting it back into place is the hard part. My dad knows we can do it with the engine on the frame but was hopping we could do it before that It looks like that is the only way though unless some knows a better way.

Comment

You have to take off the lower inner A arm support where it attaches to the frame. It's better to do this with the engine in the car as you will need the weight. If the engine is out of the car along with the front sheet metal, I do not think it is possible.

Some folks take the king pin nut off the outer lower A arm, but that seems like it would be too easy to mess up the bushings. I have done it both ways and either way it is scary.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I've just completed this project (done 5+ times), with the engine out of the car and the standard spring compressor tool from Auto Zone loaner.....done by shop manual and completed in less that 2 hours....expect a little more the 1st time.....with the spring compressor, you don't need to worry about sprung energy.....make sure you squeeze the middle 4-5 coils for sure shortening....GL

Comment

Working...
          X