Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude parts refresher course - Always get the shipping cost in writing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude parts refresher course - Always get the shipping cost in writing.

Relearn some things the hard way. Recently, I bought a fairly large, fairly heavy part from a guy who knew a guy I knew. The price was fair and the condition was good.

The mistake was I assumed the seller would do what I do when I sell parts - pack it myself and use an on-line account with USPS/FedEx/UPS.

What he did was take the part to a local UPS franchise in a shopping center. He had them pack it, ship it and insure it. They charged $20 for the box, $20 for packing, marked up the UPS $35 charge 15% and insured it signature required for all that plus the cost of the part. Then, because I wasn't home to sign for it when they delivered, I had to go out to the UPS terminal to track it down.

I guess even old guys have gotten used to Amazon free shipping and having more expensive and more marketable parts just left in the mail box or on the front porch; it takes having a seller make it all your problem and your expense to remember to always ask "how much for shipping?"

jack vines
    PackardV8

The last time that I had a UPS store pack something for me was for an NOS 1953 C/K door sill. I did this because I didn't have a box to fit it and the buyer was in a hurry. The UPS store packed it, not all that well in a box, and UPS destroyed it. I ended up losing money on that one.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I never trust UPS (pronouned 'OOPS' by most who have had the misfortune of using them) with anything. Besides receiving shipments being destroyed, they charged a rediculous $33 brokerage fee (maybe more by now) for items shipped to Canada.

Craig

Comment

UPS won't insure your big ticket items if they do not pack it...
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I never trust UPS (pronouned 'OOPS' by most who have had the misfortune of using them) with anything. Besides receiving shipments being destroyed, they charged a rediculous $33 brokerage fee (maybe more by now) for items shipped to Canada.

Craig
          not 'maybe' but do. stopped using them at least 5 years ago. my neighbour was using them for a lot of ebay purchases for small shipping items like collector coins and baseball cards and their brokerage fee even applied to small items that could easily be put in a mailbox and delivered usps or canada post.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I have found the Fedex ground is consistently less expensive than UPS. I always pack it myself and carry it to the Fedex office. Has worked well for me.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
              I have found the Fedex ground is consistently less expensive than UPS. I always pack it myself and carry it to the Fedex office. Has worked well for me.
              Me too.....
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

FedEx is non-union. That's the difference.

UPS has done good and bad by me. I let them pack and ship some large oil paintings my late mom had done - pricey, but all got here fine. Newman & Altman used to use them and so did SASCO subsequently - and they ruined WAY TOO MANY NOS parts. Of course, good ol' N&A would put two circles of strapping tape on 30-year old, crumbling cardboard boxes and send it on it's way to California like that. The strapping tape was the only thing that wasn't damaged by the time it got to my doorstep.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've been using the USPS Flat Rate boxes, I love it, not so sure they love me! <G> Especially when I take in 10 or 12 boxes! But, hey, they say it! If it fits, it ships!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

My son filled a flat rate box with carbide inserts............ must have been 30 pounds in a small box.
                    Only charged the flat rate.

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                    I've been using the USPS Flat Rate boxes, I love it, not so sure they love me! <G> Especially when I take in 10 or 12 boxes! But, hey, they say it! If it fits, it ships!

Jim
                    Jack White
                    Charlotte,NC
                    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

The above posts reflect my experience exactly. I use FedEx for larger items, bus for larger items, and pack very carefully.
                      Lord only knows how many fragile items were smashed by those boxes of carbide!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post

Jim
                        Jim, you're being too nice. I schedule carrier pickup.
                        Jim
                        Often in error, never in doubt
                        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Our experience with over 500 shipments:

FedEx Ground has always been very, very good to us on shipment large and small.

The USPS has damaged a few.

Another shipper has broken several things, a couple of which you wouldn't think could be broken.

Just our experience.

Comment

Pat....Check you PM's, msg sent Thanks

Comment

if you let the buyer know up front what the packing, shipping and insurance (double the value)...what's the problem ?

Comment

Working...
                              X