Turn down a new street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn down a new street

and you find a Studebaker. I was driving down a street I don't normally travel on and as I passed the house, I saw a late 60s back end of a Stude. I stopped to be sure of what I saw and sure enough, it turns out it's a 4 door 64 Cruiser.

I went up to the house and asked about the car. Young guy, just bought it last year, stumbled across it in C/L for $400!! and he bought it.
    Put a new carb on it and new air shocks and it runs like a charm he says. 289, nice interior, everything works he says. He is still thrilled about the car, he has to put a new timing chain on it and was going to be doing that this weekend. Looked very clean in the engine bay.

Nice to see another one on the road.

He has the full wheelcovers, but says he's had to take them off as they've popped off a couple of times on him and he got tired of stopping to pick them up. He wants to use them, any tips on why this might be happening and what to do about it? I told him I had been on this list for 6 months, but that I didn't remember reading anything specific about wheelcovers flying off.

How about it? Is this a common thing with a ready solution I can pass on? I have the full covers on my 60 and knock wood, I haven't had an issue.

I can guarantee that he won't be putting a new timing chain on it this weekend, or any other weekend.

Sorry, sometimes I'm just a smart ass.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Maybe it's one of those Canadian ones with the Ford engine!
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Well, it says late 60's maybe it is chevrolet powered.

Comment

Oh, I see it says 64

Comment

Maybe he's running too big of a radial tire on the stock rims. There's plenty of threads here on that.
            I put metal bolt in valve stems on mine because the 64-65 full wheel covers have a tendency to rotate.
            Bending the tabs out on the covers might help too.

Comment

About the chain, you know that if he goes to a local store they're likely to spend a half hour trying to find one.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Get him over here. Let him know a bunch of Studebaker nuts are on here 24/7 with nothing to do but answer questions.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I had problems with the wheel covers on my '53. I took each tab of each wheel cover and straightened (sp ?) each one so that they would make the max contact with the wheel. I put hem back on and have not had a problem since. I do not have any '65 wheelcovers but if they have the tabs I would try it.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                    I had problems with the wheel covers on my '53. I took each tab of each wheel cover and straightened (sp ?) each one so that they would make the max contact with the wheel. I put hem back on and have not had a problem since. I do not have any '65 wheelcovers but if they have the tabs I would try it.
                    That's what I do to mine as well. It's funny, but if you straighten them too far, the wheelcover does not want to go on the wheel and you have to chase it around with the rubber hammer.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

What people are saying is that Studebaker used timeing gears not chain. New people to Studes do not always know this. Most young parts store clerks don't either!!!!

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Put a small bead of silicone or "GOOP" or some type of outdoor or marine sealant on the inside of the rim/wheel where the hubcap tabs contact.
                        Spread it evenly and thinly about 1/2 to 3/4" wide. Let it dry.
                        When you replace the hubcap the tabs dig in and hold.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                          Get him over here. Let him know a bunch of Studebaker nuts are on here 24/7 with nothing to do but answer questions.
                          Don't I know it!! And despite you all, I still suggested he throw himself in the briar patch.
                          Last edited by LeoH; 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Clemens View Post
                            What people are saying is that Studebaker used timeing gears not chain. New people to Studes do not always know this. Most young parts store clerks don't either!!!!

studedick from the lower Ozarks
                            Thanks Mr. C! I didn't catch that, I thought I had read timing chain posts, but apparently not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                              Maybe he's running too big of a radial tire on the stock rims. There's plenty of threads here on that.
                              I put metal bolt in valve stems on mine because the 64-65 full wheel covers have a tendency to rotate.
                              Bending the tabs out on the covers might help too.
                              That could be. He's getting new tires, they have the tires still on the car from 1976 from when it was supposedly last driven before parked until last year when he bought it!

Comment

Working...
                              X