1965 leaf springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 leaf springs

I am going to buy new leaf springs for my 1965 commander. Is there somewhere to get the measurements to have some made locally. I would rather buy the new springs and change them then to take the old ones off so they could be used for patterns. Also the company I am dealing with also said they can (maybe) reheat and rearch the old ones. Is that a viable option and is there anymore options.

I bought a set of heavy duty leaf springs from Dave Thibeault in Maynard MA.Quality product, decent price, will ship and he is a nice fellow to deal with.I don't have his address or number on hand, but if you do a search you can probably find it.BTW don't forget to get a new bolt kit when installing the new springs.Hope this helps.

Comment

I had my springs re-arched by a local spring shop and am quite happy with the results. Several other members of our chapter have also had it done. If you want to make them more heavy duty you can have them add a leaf while they are doing it. The shop I use also had the bushings in stock and installed them for me.
      Last edited by Pat Dilling; 05-11-2013, 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

The places that create springs have the specs for just about all production cars ever made in auto history on file.
        Unless there were multiple spring options, you don't have to tell them more than year and model.
        If there were multiple options, they will ask you which applies to your specific car.

I got new springs for my Edsel (Studebaker doesn't need any) from Oregon Springs in Portland Oregon. In my case I drove the car from Southern California to Portland to have them custom installed. (They adjust and re-adjust the springs while they make them, so the car actually rides level, which you can't do when you just mail order the springs thermselves).
        Portland Oregon is way too far away from New York for you to drop by the way I did. But you can find them on the internet and order the springs by phone, to have them shipped to you.

I am spacing on the name of the firm that did OEM springs for Ford products in Detroit Michigan. They might have done Studebaker too.
        But don't worry about getting your specs before you order. Any place that is in the profession of making springs can look up the specs for a 1955 Studebaker Commander in their files for you.
        You only have to give them specs if you are not going stock.

Comment

Working...
        X