AC Works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Works!

Well, I finally got around to taking the 57 Hawk in for a check to see if this old system would produce cold air. My mechanic put a belt on the compressor, got a retrofit kit for the 134A, filled the system, checked for leaks, and lo and behold I have nice cold air. Pretty sure I'm the only one with AC on a 57 Silver Hawk in Anderson, In! Of course I think I have the only 57 Silver Hawk here also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3424.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1738701Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3388.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1738698Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3389.jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1738699Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3390.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1738700

How cool is that?

'63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I am sorry but you must be mistaken. I don't care what a thermometer stuck in the evaporator says,your AC cannot possibly be producing cold air with the 134 & copper tube condenser combo. It simply won't work unless you install a "modern" condenser designed expressly for 134.

Comment

The system will work better with a new style condenser. It will work with an older condenser until summer gets here and the temps reach the 90's...
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
          The system will work better with a new style condenser. It will work with an older condenser until summer gets here and the temps reach the 90's...
          Mine worked just fine in Palm Springs, but I guess we'll just have to check back with this OP in a couple of months for an update.

Comment

Comment

This matches personal experiences exactly. I have ran both the old copper tube, and the new "super condenser", and it is six of one & half dozen of the other. If anything the copper tube cools better, in spite of what the makers of modern condensers proclaim. But they have done an excellent marketing job, since many are convinced they must buy one of the modern condensers in order to have an AC that works.
              Thanks,
              Joe

Comment

Guess I'll leave as is and see what happens when it gets hotter outside. If I have problems will post.

Comment

Joe, Until I reread your original reply, I didn't realize it was a facetious one! I feel better now....

Comment

And according to engineers, bumblebee's can't fly.

I have personally run into the limits of R134 conversions on some vehicles, where the condensor was inadequate for 134.
                    Depends on the original setup.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jerry,
                      I shoulda maybe mentioned I have a rather twisted sense of humor sometimes.

Jeff,
                      I agree, original setup influences outcome of a 134 conversion, when keeping the OEM condenser. But would add that the original condensers on Hawks, and even most aftermarket copper tube condensers on Hawks, lends well to the 134 conversion; large capacity, located in a windy area, with flow through sufficient so as not to block too much air to the radiator.
                      A quick, field check of condenser efficiency is easy enough: thumb and forefinger on the metal part of the inlet line (to condenser), is usually too hot to touch more than a couple of seconds in 90+ degree weather, but can hold onto the outlet line all day if desired. That indicates cool down and return of gas to solid, which the condenser is supposed to do. If the outlet line is too hot to hold onto, its an indicator the condenser is not up to the task. If the condenser passes this test, it is doing everything it an do as a condenser, no matter if its copper tube or "modern" aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                      X