1932 St.Regis Brougham Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1932 St.Regis Brougham Commander

After looking for a St. Regis for a number of years picked up my latest Studebaker aquisition Sunday last. Sending her out to Allen Barth to refit with the latest fuel injected aluminum LS motor and electronic overdrive trans.....front and rear independent suspensions. Was more than fortunate to find one in excellent condition. She is as solid as solid gets. Last photo is one of the survivors done in the manner I will emulate. The original wheels will go to The Wheelsmith in California for new outer rims and truing up for the wide white radials we plan to use. Will update progress when Allen starts the project this fall.
    Attached Files

A body style that I have long admired. I would have a real conflict rodding a nice car like that, but I can understand the temptation. Old time looks with a modern drivetrain would be nice.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The long doors are what makes it attractive to me.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That is so cool. A friend of mine in Nebraska did a 32 St Regis several years ago and later brought it to Arizona. He has passed on since. I think the car may be in California.

Denny L

Comment

I saw one of these on E-bay about a year ago, located in Santa Barbara. It was listed for 2 or 3 times and then disappeared. I don't know if it sold or not, but it was the first time I had seen one and found it to be an amazingly attractive car. It would give a Rolls, Bentley, Auburn, Pierce Arrow or Deusenberg a good run in the looks department. Would love to see more pictures of yours when it is done.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I always thought that a long motor should be used like something out of a Dodge Viper or Lamborghini. Now THAT would be wild.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              I saw one of these on E-bay about a year ago, located in Santa Barbara. It was listed for 2 or 3 times and then disappeared. I don't know if it sold or not, but it was the first time I had seen one and found it to be an amazingly attractive car. It would give a Rolls, Bentley, Auburn, Pierce Arrow or Deusenberg a good run in the looks department. Would love to see more pictures of yours when it is done.
              This car was on ebay a few years back. I was one of three bidding on it at that time. Was the first to drop out. A fellow from Indiana was the high bidder. He came here and asked a question or two about it. I responded to him with a note stating if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. He did so and I agreed to buy it for what he paid. There are but a handful remaining. The Commander is my preference. just the right length wheel base for what I want to do with it.....127 in. The Dictator is too short 117 inches. It is a very nice car.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                I always thought that a long motor should be used like something out of a Dodge Viper or Lamborghini. Now THAT would be wild.
                I am wanting to get from A to B ....reliably....dependably.... and safely. The motors you suggest go against the goals I have. I would go with the primo Aluminum LS motor used in the Z06 before anything else.

Comment

Good choice. Powerful and reliable

Denny L

Comment

If there are only a handful left, why not do a stock restoration? It would certainly be more desirable.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                      Good choice. Powerful and reliable

Denny L
                      times2...don't get why others beat-up on the owners who want to make practical engine swaps to something more reliable, have the power to move the car at modern freeway speeds all day long, probably better fuel economy, and way better on exhaust emissions, plus getting another beautiful Stude out on the road for others to enjoy...now what's wrong with that thinking?? Can't wait to see it finished! just had to say...Junior.
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                        times2...don't get why others beat-up on the owners who want to make practical engine swaps to something more reliable, have the power to move the car at modern freeway speeds all day long, probably better fuel economy, and way better on exhaust emissions, plus getting another beautiful Stude out on the road for others to enjoy...now what's wrong with that thinking?? Can't wait to see it finished! just had to say...Junior.
                        tom

Rodding a really rare automobile will get thumbs down all day long. What I wonder about with a project like this is safety.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                          tom

Rodding a really rare automobile will get thumbs down all day long. What I wonder about with a project like this is safety.
                          Are you referring to safety as stock or after "rodding"?

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                            I am wanting to get from A to B ....reliably....dependably.... and safely. The motors you suggest go against the goals I have. I would go with the primo Aluminum LS motor used in the Z06 before anything else.
                            Depressing.
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Ditto. But whatever.
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X