Name:	100_1894.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1738688Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1893.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1738689
    I recently ran into a guy in my town and we got to talking about Studebakers. He mentioned that he had a Studebaker wagon in his garage that had belonged to his dad. I of course had to go and see it, so I have attached a couple of pictures. The wagon seems to be in excellent condition and is complete. This guy has the history of the wagon since the 1960's, but doesn't have a lot of other knowledge about this vehicle. He might be interested someday in selling it, but now is primarily interested in finding out what he has besides a Studebaker farm wagon - age, details, value, etc. Is there anyone out there who has any expertise in wagons? Thanks.
    Larry
    Larry Sherer

Originally posted by lakeview7 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]23676[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23677[/ATTACH]
    I recently ran into a guy in my town and we got to talking about Studebakers. He mentioned that he had a Studebaker wagon in his garage that had belonged to his dad. I of course had to go and see it, so I have attached a couple of pictures. The wagon seems to be in excellent condition and is complete. This guy has the history of the wagon since the 1960's, but doesn't have a lot of other knowledge about this vehicle. He might be interested someday in selling it, but now is primarily interested in finding out what he has besides a Studebaker farm wagon - age, details, value, etc. Is there anyone out there who has any expertise in wagons? Thanks.
    Larry
    Larry Sherer
    I can't say that I am a wagon expert, but I did own one that appears to be exactly the same. I never learned much about it either, but I did have the tongue and double tree meaning it was pulled by two horses. The double tail gate was interesting and I don't know how unusual that was, but most farm wagons had a single flat tail gate. Mine had painted on each side above the word "Studebaker" "made for C. C. Timmons and Sons, Martinsburg, West Virginia". I later found out that C. C. Timmons sold coal and coal stoves so I assumed that the wagon was made to deliver coal. I don't have any digital pictures of it and it would take me a while to find photographs.
    I sold mine probably 15 year ago to a local carriage collector for $1,600. It was in somewhat nicer shape than the one in your pictures.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I can't help but wonder if the Studebaker Nat'l Museum would be interested in it.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
        I can't help but wonder if the Studebaker Nat'l Museum would be interested in it.
        Rog
        Doubt it, they have a farm wagon just like it already as well as others.

As far as wagons go, that is the type of farm wagon that made the Studebaker brothers famous. They are extremely solid and durable. I would estimate that it was probably built sometime between 1860 and 1900.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

You need to get in touch with Gary Hearn (Guido) on the forum. Havn't seen much out of him lately. You might find him on the truck forum.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
            You need to get in touch with Gary Hearn (Guido) on the forum. Havn't seen much out of him lately. You might find him on the truck forum.
            I thought I heard you call Neil! Don't spend much time here, mostly fooling with old chainsaws now (I found out you can get hundreds in the back of a Studebaker grain truck ).

I have a total of 5 horse drawn Studebakers including this 2 board wagon that I took to the 2008 International Meet in Lancaster.

It appears that the one you found has had a repaint over the years. As Paul mentioned, mine also has the name of the business that sold it in Ohio.

Comment

Forum user studeclunker also knows a bit about wagons. However he's been a little scarce on the Forum, too. Private message him.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I'm afraid this wagon is like a Farmer's navel; everyone had one. They were made to whatever requirements the buyer needed. Kind of like how Pioneer sells their wagons today. One buys the appropriate gear (frame and wheels) and then picks out the options to build the wagon. I'd place the value from fifteen hundred to three thousand. Pity it's been repainted like that. A good repaint is no detraction. A poor one is. Then again, it looks more like someone put some preservative on it to arrest deterioration of the wood perhaps? Condition of the wheels is crucial for these. If they're bad, they're expensive to replace. Get the right collector though and the seller can get some cash for it. The reverse is demonstrated by the Express wagon that has been on E-bay for two years now.

Best of luck to your friend. He has a nice wagon and keepsake.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                X