Avanti mystery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Avanti mystery.

I bought a '63 Avanti last fall. 63R-1880. It is an R1 (verified with the production order) The front end has been replaced, I assume , as it has the square headlight surrounds like a '64. It has a sort of oval air filter under the right front fender, with a hole through to the engine bay where obviously intake duct hose was routed somewhere. Do I correctly assume this would be correct for an R2 and the duct would have gone to the supercharger intake? Is there a carburetor bonnet which would allow me to use the under fender air filter, and do away with the underhood air filter housing. I think it would be a cleaner look, since the Avanti air cleaner housing is long gone, and the aftermarket thing on there now is pretty revolting. I was also wondering if the cooler air from under the fender would make the engine happier in hot weather than the engine bay air...
    Hopefully all this is clear enough to be understood.
    Thanks, Kelly

Maybe this would work?......http://www.spectreperformance.com/in...no-filter.html
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The standard R1 air filter housing is a large circular chrome plated cover directly over the carb. You could look at some pictures on the net to get an idea of what it looks like. The only air filter that went through the fender was for the R3. Maybe some one was trying for an R3 clone?
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Bezhawk, that is precisely what I had in mind. I've got the hole in the inner fender and the filter housing on the underside, why not use it?
        '64studeavanti, I've seen the original ones at SDC meets for years, and they are actually kind of nice, but I would kind of like to get some cooler air into the intake, and make the most of what I've already got, rather than doing a lot of work to undo what the P.O. did. The car is already non stock in so many ways, I'm not concerned with it being original. And for what an original one goes for, I would only want to install one if I was doing a concours corrrect restoration. You mentioned only an R3 had the filter that went through the fender. So How did they get the air into the supercharger on an R2? Guess I better go peruse the gallery! Thanks for the input...
        Kelly

Comment

64studeavanti, thanks for your comments. I went surfing and looked at pics to see how Stude inducted the R2. Also came across some pics of later engine bays fitted with GM engines, and I'm thinking that the PO must have gotten the donor parts for the through-the-fender air filter off of one of these cars.

Comment

Working...
          X