Mirror holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Mirror holes

So I do expect to reposition a rear view mirror on my wagon. Currently, not only is it a generic mirror on it, whoever put one on, positioned it so that the door post is almost exactly in the middle of the mirror's line of sight! I have to weave to the right or left to get a complete mirror view as it sets right now. Idiots.

What I need to know is tips on how to cover those holes, without planning on a complete new respray of the door. That'll happen eventually, but for now....

If they are just screw holes weld them shut and spray with some etching primer. If that too will happen eventually, stuff them with some dumdum.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I might use a bit of matching paint to cover any bare metal after rust binder, all applied with a toothpick or very small brush, then pick a slightly darker color of silicone caulk to fill the hole, again applying with a tooth pick or something very small to avoid making anything very visible. Of course it would be filled properly when the car is painted.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

weld with the window up or you will splatter the window with weld and it will be trashed.
        Don't ask how i know.
        James III
        sigpic

Comment

Are the holes on the door or fender? If whoever put the mirror on used sheet metal screws, then the holes edges will be pulled out a little. I think you'll need to tap them down flush before filling them. If you can get to the backside of the holes, use a curved body dolly on the inside, and the round end of a small ball peen hammer on the outside, and gently tap down the edges. Use some fine sandpaper to check if the edges are flush. To fill I would use a dab of bondo or spot putty with some mesh on the back side, then sand flush. I did this on my Lark for the same reason your having to. As has been said before " Your results may very".
          Good Luck!
          Brian

Comment

Depending on your degree of sensitivity about "perfection"...you have several options. You can choose to go the full hide route by filling and repainting, or take measures to close the open holes once the mirror is removed. You can look for some small rubber or plastic plugs to snap in place. Another option is to simply get a couple of attractive flat head stainless steel screws and install them in the holes until you get around to a full repaint.

The small holes can be filled with body filler, sanded, and blended. However, filling, sanding, and blending on older paint is fraught with potential hazards and could cause the project to get out of hand.Seeing that you are in Nevada...if you are in an arid climate, I'm thinking creeping rust shouldn't be much of a problem around the holes as in other regions.

Whatever you choose...good luck with the project.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
              Are the holes on the door or fender? If whoever put the mirror on used sheet metal screws, then the holes edges will be pulled out a little. I think you'll need to tap them down flush before filling them. If you can get to the backside of the holes, use a curved body dolly on the inside, and the round end of a small ball peen hammer on the outside, and gently tap down the edges. Use some fine sandpaper to check if the edges are flush. To fill I would use a dab of bondo or spot putty with some mesh on the back side, then sand flush. I did this on my Lark for the same reason your having to. As has been said before " Your results may very".
              Good Luck!
              Brian
              Thank you all. Don't have a welder, but I am starting to consider it. For something like this, and my lack of knowledge of welding, pass.
              The hole(s) in the fender. I am planning on relocating the mirror to the door. Locating them further out down the fender might look cool, but I like using the mirrors and want something more functionally placed.

I was thinking of the rubber plug; or maybe a JB Weld plop, then sand and repaint. I've heard dumdum mentioned a couple of times, is this similar to the JB Weld product? Where do you get dumdum? Good point to consider, the effect of the screw on the body panel.
              I've looked up touch up paint threads already. Is there a consensus on how best to eyeball match faded car paint to brand new spray paint?

John, you're right about it not raining here often, but I do plan to wash the car more often than it rains, so, like my thread about replacing the antenna on the car, fewer holes in the body are better than more. I've already learned when I wash the car, it's a good idea for me to park the car on an angle and open the doors as soon as I'm done rinsing

I haven't taken the mirror off yet, I want to wait until I get a replacement before I go futzing with holes in the body.

Comment

Speaking of rear view mirrors. This sounds like it's a dumb question, but, if I were to get the interior rear view mirror rechromed, the wagon is a Regal, wouldn't I need to remove the mirror glass before it was rechromed?

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                  Speaking of rear view mirrors. This sounds like it's a dumb question, but, if I were to get the interior rear view mirror rechromed, the wagon is a Regal, wouldn't I need to remove the mirror glass before it was rechromed?
                  It will be cheaper and easier to get a New exact copy of the original, I can send you one if you wish.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just painted mine silver. Many of the cheaper models were painted silver instead of chrome.

A real CASO solution, even though I am not a CASO.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-11-2013, 09:07 AM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      It will be cheaper and easier to get a New exact copy of the original, I can send you one if you wish.
                      That does sound easier. Thank you for the offer. Tom Karkiewicz called me back and I'm going to order one from him tomorrow.

It's funny what gets to one person versus another. My wife was the one who brought up wanting to get a replacement rearview mirror. I wanted to replace it too, but I'm willing to wait on the rear view and replace the side view mirror first.
                      Thanks for the idea Roy, I was leaning towards just painting mine white to match the body color, Regal-ity be damned, but it didn't dawn on me to try a silver paint. This way I'll have a back up.

It'll get done in the coming weeks.

Comment

If you are plugging a small hole like that... even in Nevada.. don't use regular body filler; it wicks moisture. Use the fiberglass filler. Works the same way... but water will not penetrate it. To touch up the paint (if you have the right color) just tear a match out of a matchbook and use the fuzzy end as a paint brush. Works great, I was taught that trick back in the '60's while working in a body shop.
                        Last edited by Deaf Mute; 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM. Reason: spelcheck

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                          If you are plugging a small hole like that... even in Nevada.. don't use regular body filler; it wicks moisture. Use the fiberglass filler. Works the same way... but water will not penetrate it. To touch up the paint (if you have the right color) just tear a match out of a matchbook and use the fuzzy end as a paint brush. Works great, I was taught that trick back in the '60's while working in a body shop.
                          Thanks for using spellcheck and thanks even more for those tips. Both important and useful!!

Comment

Working...
                          X