PDA

View Full Version : Bendix power steering

brian6373
05-08-2013, 10:58 AM
A couple of years ago I bought a used power steering set-up for my '63 Lark. I've been kinda slow on getting things together on this conversion getting all new hoses, having the control valve rebuilt, ect. The other day I was going to put a seal kit in the ram and was cleaning it up when I found that there was bad rust pitting on the piston shaft about mid-way on the shaft. This is about where it will be when the wheels are straight. Is there some way that I can fix this? Or do I need another ram? I think I would prefer another ram to put the seal kit in if someone has one for sale.

Thanks

Brian

studeski
05-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Try J-B weld on it.

brian6373
05-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Has anyone tried J-B weld on a hydraulic ram shaft? I used J-B weld with success on a freeze damaged engine block, but it was on the side of the lower block where there was no pressure. If I can't find another ram I guess I'll have to give it a try. I'm also looking for a power brake booster assy., type C or D for sale.

Thanks,

Brian

candbstudebakers
05-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Brian I should have both items...Bob

studebaker-R2-4-me
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Has anyone tried J-B weld on a hydraulic ram shaft? I used J-B weld with success on a freeze damaged engine block, but it was on the side of the lower block where there was no pressure. If I can't find another ram I guess I'll have to give it a try. I'm also looking for a power brake booster assy., type C or D for sale.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian be careful of what you buy. Lark power booster brackets are different between power disc brakes and power drums. The difference is subtle with a fulcrum point different on the bracket to the brake pedal rod. I believe even the rod is a different length. If you want power drums Myers Studebaker just purchased mine in trade for the power disc that I required during the South Bend Swap meet. If you are going with power disc brakes Myers has a really nice setup that I just purchased, master cylinder and all. Give them a call you will not be sorry.

Allen