PDA

View Full Version : Pickup box in car conversion question???

effiedude
05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Howdy All! I had a friend Email Me a pic of a mid 40's Studebaker car with what appears to be a Truck Box and tailgate grafted to the car, I know our SDC guys across the pond have Chevrolet Utes Car!/truck's but the Studebaker application is new to Me. SO here's My question??? What years was this Studebaker accessory available. I say Studebaker Accessory because My friend say's His Dad ordered and had it installed at a Studebaker lot in Colton, Ca. I am thinking about something similar for a 49 Studebaker Commander that's in My shop. I wouldn't mind hearing any other input as what You guy's that had or were customizing cars in the early 60's. Ie, French' d, chopped, and channeled, Unusual chrome pieces and whatnot's. Answers are appreciated photos are encouraged especially if Old School Custom work. Thanks in advance for the answers all!

Anne F. Goodman
05-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking could be the box that slides in its a lot smaller than a regular pickup bed box . I think in the early 40's Studebakerwheel will know for sure. Pictures we want pictures.

Studebaker Wheel
05-06-2013, 12:15 PM

The only three years they were offered by Studebaker was 1939-1940-1941. I have one of each and all are, so far as I know, one of a kind. Anything similar in the post WWII era had to be a home made custom.