Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South bend trip, Just how jealous should I be??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South bend trip, Just how jealous should I be??

So while sitting in my office board as a stump I realalized the reason the forum has been dead, this weekend. You've all been in Southbend this weekend Having fun........ But now your back,So what'd ya' bring back what did you all come home with? Parts,cars,parts cars, TWs, memrobillia, what ever. Some prices (what you paid) would be nice too, but I know most of you won't share those with me though. If you sold some stuff too how'd that go? Just how jealous should I be? Pics of what you bought would be great too.

Other than the most interesting one I've been to, Nothing.

The combination of the factory tour with the Studebaker employees and the Avanti Bonneville Seminar later with the interaction of many of the figures that participated in the original and subsequent Bonneville efforts made this one head and shoulders above any I've attended.

Oh!!, BTW I got all the parts I came for and one that I never expected to find.

Other than that and meeting some new and old folks, No Big Deal.

I can't wait to see how they top this one in the future.

Bob

Comment

Looking forward to some pictures. Anyone have any?
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        Other than the most interesting one I've been to, Nothing.

The combination of the factory tour with the Studebaker employees and the Avanti Bonneville Seminar later with the interaction of many of the figures that participated in the original and subsequent Bonneville efforts made this one head and shoulders above any I've attended.

Oh!!, BTW I got all the parts I came for and one that I never expected to find.

Other than that and meeting some new and old folks, No Big Deal.

I can't wait to see how they top this one in the future.

Bob
        I hate you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much right now

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
          Looking forward to some pictures. Anyone have any?
          Gary: Look in the topic South Bend Trip for a good link. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

John Shanahan and I rolled back home arriving about 10:30PM. I had the crank for the Bonneville engine at Brad Bez's tables. It wasn't quite finished, but several folks had asked about it, so we let folks have a gander. Other vendors had mixed results, but the general consensus was good sales and interest. John was on the discussion panel for the Ron Hall 20th anniversary event. Several panelists had great stories about the years of effort culminating in the first pass with a Studebaker powered Studebaker at over 200 mph. Somehow, I neglected to buy anything. I already regret that lack of foresight. It sets a bad precedence and spousal expectations for future events. I got my first eyes on look of the facelift on Ed George's R3 powered Avanti. He did a great job and unofficial reports say it ran great.
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
              I got my first eyes on look of the facelift on Ed George's R3 powered Avanti. He did a great job and unofficial reports say it ran great.
              Other unofficial reports reported a downtown drag race. Any idea who won? Ed or that "other guy" in the R3 Daytona?

Wait, two real R3's racing stoplights in downtown South Bend? Must've been a dream.

Comment

I had a great time meeting people and putting faces to names of people I have long admired. Had a great time with Lew, and Tom and John Hull. Got some needed parts, and some not needed. Sold some bumpers, sheet metal and a few trim items and a transmission. found a cool factory tool for dialing in bell housings!

Oh, and a couple of supercharger mounting brackets, but that wouldn't interest anyone!
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I got a nice batch of gauges for my 39 CE project, a straight shift lever for my buddies R-1 powered Wagonaire, a hubcap for my trailer (now has two wheel covers) and a lovely large hardbound book titled Industrial Design by Raymond Lowey. I really enjoyed the Avanti seminar and the whole show. I'll be back.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    Other unofficial reports reported a downtown drag race. Any idea who won? Ed or that "other guy" in the R3 Daytona?

Wait, two real R3's racing stoplights in downtown South Bend? Must've been a dream.
                    That was no dream, Matt. Seeing both cars there is always one heck of a sight to behold.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I went in 2004. I'd like to go again.
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

I think that somebody took a video, don't know if will get to see it.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Arrived at the swap meet as the gates were opening on Friday and soon found a pair of NOS 1962-63 Lark front fenders for $300. The vendor of the fenders said that his late father had been a Studebaker employee for 36 years and that the fenders were recently found up in the barn. I didnt have enough cash with, so I made a down-payment and came back 4 hours later with cash from a South Bend bank. The lady teller at the bank was cute and was into cars, but she wore a wedding ring.... anyway I got some doors that Bob Peterson and co-pilot Bill Williams brought me from California along with a NOS tranny mount for a 4-speed.
                          How jealous should you be? Peanut butter and jealous!
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I found pics on the HAMB: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=799385

Comment

I cannot testify as to what happened at the race, but I can testify that the vehicles involved had to be Ed's R3 Avanti, and Nelson Bove's R3 Daytona, as those two cars made their appearance at the Comfort Suites again this year
                              . I was not around for the race, and I don't know when that happened, because, aside from being at the fairgrounds I was busy at the cruise in at Studebaker International for part of the time, and at Tom K's farm removing some Lark fiberglass fenders for the other part of the time. Since I'm sharing, here's the full breakdown of my purchases:

One 59-64 Lark V8 engine crossmember
                              Two fiberglass fenders from Tom K's '62 Cruiser. These required two sets of my bit driver kits, a stubby set of end wrenches, some tin snips, and a die grinder to remove. The rain also followed me out there since I got hosed pretty good on Friday getting them off.
                              One '63 front fascia from Tom K
                              One '63 rear decklid from Tom K
                              One '63 Daytona driver's upper moulding
                              Two '63 Daytona front fender mouldings
                              One '55 Commander trunklid "8" for the C/K
                              The letters T-D-E-K for the '63 Daytona trunklid
                              One '55 driver's door latch and striker to replace my hogged out striker(door doesn't latch at all)
                              The '63 side trim moulding clips
                              The '55 C/K upper door potmetal clips
                              One driver and passenger backup lamp for the '63 Daytona, as mine are in pretty sad shape.
                              One '63-64 valve cover to replace the one on the '55 that I had squished when I put the engine in. I pounded it out, but it still looks squished.

I came up short on a '55 passenger window that I had to replace that was cracked. Apparently, much like the Brand X shows, they don't send POR-15 reps to the Studebaker shows anymore either. Either the glass wasn't available, or the ones that were available had the same results mine did from slamming the door too hard. I also had some additional stuff on my list that I was looking for, such as '63 Lark interior, dash, and headliner, but much of that was bonus material once everything else was found.
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X