Daily Driver questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Driver questions

I'm sure this depends on where you live, but does anybody use any of the passive anti-theft devices for their Stude when they drive it around town? The Club, or whatever.

Are there any of the dash protectors for new cars that fit in the older windshields? I have one, but it is about 3" or 4" too tall and I have to scrunch it even under the sunvisor arms.

If the car is a 3-Speed on the tree, you have a passive anti-theft device. Kids don't know how to drive these vehicles. Heck, many adults don't know how to drive these vehicles.

As for the dash protector, are you married? Can she sew? Trim it and hem it.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That may be the option, but this is one of those wire rimmed, flimsy fabric ones. I'll look for maybe the sold folding type and trim one of those to fit.

Ain't that the truth about the column shift

Comment

I put a blinking LED on the dash board. It's not an alarm. It just blinks, but it looks like an alarm. Often, that is enough.

I also put a club on the steering wheel.

Always park it in reverse. That locks out the overdrive, plus it is the most advantageous gear ratio.

You can make a sun shield from cardboard, but crunching up the ones you already have probably work fine.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I almost never even bother to lock them!!!

My cars have almost always been a bit 'picky' if you know what I mean. They don't just start right up.
          I figure that if they can get it started up and manage to figure out how to drive it away- they can have at it.
          They have just stolen a car that is not so ordinary and very easy to identify. They will be noticed.
          And if I have reported the car stolen- they won't get very far!!!

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I don't worry about anybody stealing a 1952 Studebaker.
            I have never even locked its doors.

First off it is a 1952 Studebaker. Nobody is going to take it to strip it for parts to resell. That is the #1 reason cars get stolen.
            The kind of little idiots (say 14 year olds) who steal cars for a joy ride aren't going to figure out how to start it (a push button on the dash).

And if you are a big idiot you aren't going to get very far if you try.
            The minute it was gone I'd get on my cell phone and call the Highway Patrol and County Sheriff. There is so little crime in my area that you get 3 cop cars for every little fender bender.
            A big burgundy car that is 61 years old is going to be spotted, stopped, and impounded before the end of that day.

Only a professional at car stealing, has a chance of nabbing it, and it isn't worth enough money to interest them.
            A device like The Club or a blinking light isn't going to stop those kind of people. They swoop in with a flatbed and have that thing gone in 90 seconds.

Naw. I'm stuck with it now that I own it.
            It just isn't the kind of car the public steals.

Comment

I don't lock my 2001 Ranger. I have nothing of value in it, and a broken door glass or defeated lock would be less than a $250 deductible. Not that I have Comp on it. I have come out a couple mornings to nothing worse than a open door.

I guess because the Daytona is a four speed and the Commander will be an automatic that I might put a kill switch somewhere. Just a toggle switch. But, I did see a video where a '60 Impala convertible was towed away on a flat bed while the owner was eating lunch. If someone wants your car bad enough, they will take it. Not much you'll be able to do about it. That's the beauty behind most Studebakers...they aren't worth much and are not much of a target.
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

This was in my plans too, not because I think it'll get stolen, but because where we live I'll have park on the street, and some people round here enjoy slashing tires, breaking windows, and most comonly just tsking stuff out of the car and throwing it in the street! If the first time they open my door an alarm goes off and I come with a baseball bat and a lack of sleep, they'll learn fast.
                My brothers had his window smashed in twice, all his cds brokens and thrown in the street, even had his tires slashed once, people see that sweet vintaage car and they see a target.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. My default thought is that, it's a white Lark station wagon. Kinda hard to hide or blend in. I don't plan to leave much in it regularly to remove, currently it has no radio, so that should be a good aversion flag there. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

Comment

Working...
                  X