Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Dear All
    I am a new subscriber to the forum . I reside in South Africa and is a collector of oldies. Very recently I added a 1963 Lark VIII to my collection being my first Studebaker. I grew up with Studebakers in the family in the 60's and now I eventually own one. I look forward to share in the enthusiasm and knowledge of Stud lovers across the world. Regards.
    Me&mystud.

Welcome to the Forum!
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Very cool, and welcome! It's been written in Turning Wheels from time to time that Studebakers were regarded as somewhat upper-class in SA in the old days - is that true?

Glad to have you here. Be sure and post pics of your Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to our little corner of crazy!
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

When I was in Durban, SA. The locals preferred to ride in Dodge taxicabs while the US sailors would take the Mercedes.

Other than that the South Africans appeared to be reasonably intelligent people.
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I thought it was all crazy. Welcome anyway.

Comment

Welcome Johan to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks showbizkid, yep in the 50's and 60's Studebakers were very sought after. In the 60's Lark VIII's were Police issue because it could outrun all the Fords and Chevvy's of the day (so I'am told). I am yet to confirm if the Studebaker brand was imported as knock down kits and assembled locally (RHD) or imported from Australia. Thanks anyway, I will post pic's soon.

Comment

Johan, I believe you had an assembly plant in South Africa, Aussie vehicles were for Australia only as far as I know. Try asking the South African Studebaker Club, I emailed asking whether anyone knew of Lark ads for sale and never received a response, you may have more luck.

John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thanks John, I posted an enquiry too and will revert back when I get something

Comment

Excellent, and welcome aboard. 'Hope to see some pix of your '63. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!!! If my memory serves me, back in the '60's there were many Lark Taxi cabs in NYC.
                        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X