Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Old Guy

Hi all,

I'm in NW Illinois near the Quad Cities and just bought my first Studebaker last night. Been a Chevy guy almost all my life and decided I needed a change of scenery. Always liked the the '53's so when a friend told me he knew of a Stude for sale I was all ears. It's a '55 Commander 2 dr. Sedan with a 224 4 bbl and 3 Spd/OD. I'm a '55 model myself so it should be a good relationship. I'll probably just scan through posts for awhile learning what I can before I do much posting. I'd like to know enough to at least ask intelligent questions. "Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Analog man in a digital world.

Welcome to the forum. We all suggest one of the first things you do is Join the SDC, look at the pinned topics at the top of the listing, one of them will direct you in the right place. For a new member, it's under $20.00 for the first year and the magazine Turning Wheels is worth far more than that.

We welcome questions, the unasked ones can get you in trouble.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We all suggest one of the first things you do is Join the SDC, look at the pinned topics at the top of the listing, one of them will direct you in the right place. For a new member, it's under $20.00 for the first year and the magazine Turning Wheels is worth far more than that.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

We all suggest one of the first things you do is Join the SDC, look at the pinned topics at the top of the listing, one of them will direct you in the right place. For a new member, it's under $20.00 for the first year and the magazine Turning Wheels is worth far more than that.

Tom Bredehoft
        Welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of Stude's...[8D] Other than that, I would echo what Tom said!

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

We all suggest one of the first things you do is Join the SDC, look at the pinned topics at the top of the listing, one of them will direct you in the right place. For a new member, it's under $20.00 for the first year and the magazine Turning Wheels is worth far more than that.

Tom Bredehoft
          Welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of Stude's...[8D] Other than that, I would echo what Tom said!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll do that. [8D]

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll do that. [8D]

Comment

Welcome to the world of Studebaker! We would love to see your new baby, have any pictures of her that you might share?

Randy_G
                1959 Lark Sedan

Comment

Welcome to the world of Studebaker! We would love to see your new baby, have any pictures of her that you might share?

Randy_G
                  1959 Lark Sedan

Comment

Hi, Glenn, and welcome aboard the Studebaker hobby. There's a number of us partial to the fish-mouth '55s, so you'll be in good company.

If your '55 Commander really is a sedan and not the low-slung coupe, it has a straight (non-wrap-around) windshield with the 224 engine and is known as an "early" 1955. That 224 with overdrive is a surprisingly sprightly combination.

You're in the right place. Do join The Studebaker Drivers Club right away; instructions are at the top of the forum...and as was pointed out, it's only $19.95 for the first year.

Say, the Quad Cities aren't halfway around the world from the little town of Stanton MI. If you are into drag racing, there's a good group of us that participate in The Pure Stock Musclecar Drag Races, this year being September 14 and 15 at Mid-Michigan Motorplex in Stanton. 'Come by for some exciting times.

Bob Palma
                    Technical Editor
                    Turning Wheels
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi, Glenn, and welcome aboard the Studebaker hobby. There's a number of us partial to the fish-mouth '55s, so you'll be in good company.

If your '55 Commander really is a sedan and not the low-slung coupe, it has a straight (non-wrap-around) windshield with the 224 engine and is known as an "early" 1955. That 224 with overdrive is a surprisingly sprightly combination.

You're in the right place. Do join The Studebaker Drivers Club right away; instructions are at the top of the forum...and as was pointed out, it's only $19.95 for the first year.

Say, the Quad Cities aren't halfway around the world from the little town of Stanton MI. If you are into drag racing, there's a good group of us that participate in The Pure Stock Musclecar Drag Races, this year being September 14 and 15 at Mid-Michigan Motorplex in Stanton. 'Come by for some exciting times.

Bob Palma
                      Technical Editor
                      Turning Wheels
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome, Glenn! You'll get great advice here from experts. As to the "better to remain silent" idea - I've found it's better to remove all doubt, and you'll get the help you need! People take pity on the village idiot. ha ha! ME.
                        BTW, I love your signature. Welcome to the forum & I hope you enjoy your new old '55 as much as I have.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Welcome, Glenn! You'll get great advice here from experts. As to the "better to remain silent" idea - I've found it's better to remove all doubt, and you'll get the help you need! People take pity on the village idiot. ha ha! ME.
                          BTW, I love your signature. Welcome to the forum & I hope you enjoy your new old '55 as much as I have.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Find the nearest SDC Chapter on this site and join SDC and Chapter through them. They may be able to save you more local knowledge than a lifetime of dues will cost.

Karl

Comment

Find the nearest SDC Chapter on this site and join SDC and Chapter through them. They may be able to save you more local knowledge than a lifetime of dues will cost.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X