What'll fit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: What'll fit???

My buddy bought a great little car about a year ago, a '53 Champion that had a '57 Hawk 289 V-8 driveline installed in it. It has the '57 Hawk Wheels on it with the '53 full wheel covers. He wants to put new aftermarket wire wheels (Chrysler style) on it with wide-white radials. We've looked at some aftermarket wheels but are concerned about what fits. The offset on the Studebaker wheels is about 5", and the aftermarket wheels are about 1 1/2 inches shallower, which means the wheel would set out a bit further in the wheel opening. We're concerned about the tires rubbing the outer fender front and rear. I've seen C & K models with wires, but maybe someone can give us a little guidance on what brand fits and what brand doesn't.

I know he'll appreciate a little help. He's new to the computer world, and doesn't feel comfortable posting here yet. Your help would be appreciated.

Denny Foust
    studegu@verizon.net

Perhaps an easy way to determine if your choice of wheels will fit would be to find a wheel with a similar offset and mount it on the car. You could then run it through the lock to lock turning and see first hand where the interference may be. The rears would be less of an issue. The rear fenders offer a lot or room on the inboard side and the fender lips roll easily without showing appreciable difference. Mine have been pulled and rolled and you would be hard pressed to see the difference from stock even when side by side. I hope this helps.
    sals54

Comment

Working...
    X