This is one sweet Avanti!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is one sweet Avanti!!!

I spotted this thing a couple months back but noticed it's back up on ebay. I'm not usually Avanti guy, don't get me wrong I love the cars, but they're not really my style. I'm more into the C/K, and the really old cars. But this one is just right for me http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...item2a2c0688d7, Granted it's an Avanti 2, but man it looks sweet, the advanced design really shows it's self in this car, looks very modern for a 1984 car, considering it was designed in the late 50's, now that's amazing! If I had cash shootin' outa my you know what, I'd buy this car and send that SBC down the road, throw in a custom dual supercharged R5 clone motor, beef up the suspension a bit, make a real super car. I really love the interior too!!. 1984 would still be stude body right?

Yes, that is a nice appearing Avanti. It is so nice that I bid on it and I am not in the market for that vintage Avanti. I have since been outbid.

A 1984 Avanti still uses the Studebaker Avanti body with slight changes and is on a Studebaker chassis with slight changes, such as brakes.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

very nice looking Avanti Daniel, and appears to be in great shape! if i had Mr. L's $$$ (joke), i might venture into a little over 5 figures.

i'd rather have another '63/4 Avanti, or an earlier II. i don't care much for the bumper treatment on these. now, a newer Firebird/Mustang based Avanti is a different story!

my new "lust" is a '58 Packard, one of my "old" lusts is a finned Hawk - since i now have my 1st "lust" - the '51.

I can dream!!!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

This '84 Touring Coupe looks just as nice 'in person'. it belongs to an old Stude Friend of mine from here in Massachusetts, Who over the years has only purchased nice cars. I really like this Avanti.....much good work has been done to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
          very nice looking Avanti Daniel, and appears to be in great shape! if i had Mr. L's $$$ (joke), i might venture into a little over 5 figures.

i'd rather have another '63/4 Avanti, or an earlier II. i don't care much for the bumper treatment on these. now, a newer Firebird/Mustang based Avanti is a different story!

my new "lust" is a '58 Packard, one of my "old" lusts is a finned Hawk - since i now have my 1st "lust" - the '51.

I can dream!!!
          I have already owned 1963, 1964 & 1987 Avantis and a 1958 Packard hardtop. I would like a 1990-2007 Avanti now. Besides the 2001-2007s, the 1991s have regained my interest (a difficult one beause there were only 15).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Studegary, I guess we have been bidding against each other. I know the sunroofs always leak on them but I sure wouldn't have sealed it shut. I'm gonna be all in at $13K so if you want it for more, have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
              Studegary, I guess we have been bidding against each other. I know the sunroofs always leak on them but I sure wouldn't have sealed it shut. I'm gonna be all in at $13K so if you want it for more, have at it.
              No, we haven't been bidding against each other. I dropped out much earlier. Not that it isn't valued higher, I just wasn't that interested in it.

I agree about the sunroof. I wouldn't have sealed it. I wonder if it can be re-opened without messing up the paint.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Buck

If you were the high bidder at $9900, I would say well bought. That's a lot of nice car for that money.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  Buck

If you were the high bidder at $9900, I would say well bought. That's a lot of nice car for that money.

Bob
                  I agree!! That $9900 bid hit/was the reserve.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Do tell did you buy it? I'm really curious about this one. I was hoping a forum member would buy it so I could keep track of it.

Comment

Haven't spoken with the seller yet.....but if someone 'scooped' this Touring Coupe for under 10K, I think that they got a heck of a deal...This Avanti's a beauty!! (I understand seller has already purchased an '89 Avanti coupe)

Comment

It says in the description that there are no emission controls or cats. Would it pass inspection like that?
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                          It says in the description that there are no emission controls or cats. Would it pass inspection like that?
                          That depends on what state it's going to. In my state a car over 25 years old can be registered as "Historic" and doesn't need to pass a state inspection for registration. Some states have similar regulations and some states simply say that if it originally came with emission controls and cats it still has to have them to be legally registered.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Inspections? What are of these inspections? Our state proclaimed years ago that they would remove most of the treadmills from the state, and nothing prior to 1995 needed testing, in lieu of testing from the OBD port! We know nothing of these inspections!
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

You would have to restore all original emissions equipment to working order if you want to register it in the Peoples Republic of California. That applies to all cars 1976 and newer. It used to be a rolling 30 year thing, but the hard date was established a few years ago. Makes '75 and older cars more desirable here.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X