R2 fender emblem questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 fender emblem questions

My '63 non-package R2 Hawk was built in March, '63 with a ship date of 3/26/63 and does not have the rectangular "Avanti Supercharged" emblems on the front fenders. Could be the front sheet metal was replaced and never got the emblems back on but I can't see any evidence of that. Does anybody know when those emblems first appeared, and were they only on package cars? Does anybody have a pair ( or even 1) of the OEM emblems they'd like to sell? I bought some repro ones but I don't really like the quality, I have one decent used original and I wouldn't mind having another to match. OK, final question, can somebody provide some dimensions for proper location below the vents?

Anybody??????

Comment

Our '63 R-1 non-package Hawk did not have them. I've measured them at 1" below the vent for installation.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

My R-2 non package Hawk was built in November 62 without them also. The emblems became available later in the year but the start # is not known.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

All Avanti Powered Larks/Hawks were supposed (intended) to get the emblems, many were built without and they were sent to dealers but some could have become "Wall Plaques".
          As Warren said at some point they were installed at the factory, I remember hearing of at least one Prod. Order that stated: "place in glove Box", apparently a Buyer request in this case.

It was the Grille badges that were only for Package Cars.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a pair of NOS badges (still in the original boxes). Please email me at brngarage@gmail.com.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I don't think they were factory fitted until late in the model year. Many cars later had then dealer fitted which explains why we see them in a few different locations on Lark models.

I have a nice used pair here is you are interested.

Chris.

Comment

Mine is a January 1963 built R2 Hawk and it has the fender emblems
                sigpic

Comment

Statistically your car has a higher chance of being built without them verses having new fenders added at a later date.

Comment

I had always heard that they weren't installed until the advent of the complete "Super" package in March or April '63, and the call was made then to install them on all R-powered cars with or without the package.

I have seen a sales/service bulletin (although don't have it, of course, sigh) telling dealers they can call in their customers with R-cars and have the badges installed, and I've also seen a template from Studebaker about where to install the badges. That's always been a pet peeve of mine, as with Larks I've seen them anywhere from dead-on to a foot (!) off!

My September '62-built former R1 Daytona had the badges, and they are in pics of the car from September '64, but I believe they were added by the dealer at some point, although the original owner didn't recall that.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                    X