PDA

View Full Version : On this day 78 years ago. A Red letter day in the history of Studebaker. Why?

Studebaker Wheel
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
On April 26, 1935 all of South Bend was reeling from a giant celebration that was described by one as Christmas, Thanksgiving and the 4th of July all rolled into one. What was the occasion?

8E45E
04-26-2013, 08:33 PM
When Studebaker pulled itself OUT of receivership. (?)

Craig

Sdude
04-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Was it the worlds fair?

rockne10
04-26-2013, 08:39 PM
When it's neighbor, Mokena, elected one RTQ mayor? :lol:

Studebaker Wheel
04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
When it's neighbor, Mokena, elected one RTQ mayor? :lol:

That celebration came when I left office!!

Studebaker Wheel
04-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Craig wins!!! It was the celebration that commemorated the emergence from receivership. The actual date of the creation of the new Studebaker Corp was March 8, 1935 but it took about 6 weeks to get around to the celebration. A huge banquet was held and it was attended by 1200 people including industrialists, politicians, dealers and other Studebaker folks. The event was held at Notre Dame. Ironically the Keynote speaker at this affair was Alvan Macauley the President of Packard. Now there's a little trivia for you!

GThawkwind
04-27-2013, 12:15 AM
That's funny I didn't know that off hand but when Craig said it I knew he was right. I read an article in HCC that said they did a last minute redesign of the entire product, to save themselves.

Studebaker Wheel
04-27-2013, 12:34 AM
That's funny I didn't know that off hand but when Craig said it I knew he was right. I read an article in HCC that said they did a last minute redesign of the entire product, to save themselves.

If you are referring to the '34 line that would be incorrect. Those cars were pretty much redesigned from the ground up and the engineering for those changes had started before the receivership . The only thing interchangeable from the '33 cars were the engines. The Oct 2013 issue of Collectible Automobile will have an extensive article on the 1934-35 line of Studebakers.

BobPalma
04-27-2013, 07:14 AM
If you are referring to the '34 line that would be incorrect. Those cars were pretty much redesigned from the ground up and the engineering for those changes had started before the receivership . The only thing interchangeable from the '33 cars were the engines. The Oct 2013 issue of Collectible Automobile will have an extensive article on the 1934-35 line of Studebakers.

Well, Dick; I hope you wrote it so it is accurate...and a frustrated writer posing as an editor doesn't introduce errors when "editing" it! ;) BP

GThawkwind
04-29-2013, 01:42 AM
I went back and found the article, and it was about the 34-35 land cruisers with the fancy rear end treatment, which acordding to the article was a last minute design. Its been awile since I first read it. Your actually quoted several times in the acticle.

Studebaker Wheel
04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
I went back and found the article, and it was about the 34-35 land cruisers with the fancy rear end treatment, which acordding to the article was a last minute design. Its been awile since I first read it. Your actually quoted several times in the acticle.

The Land Cruisers were introduced in mid model year 1934 as a special body. The accounted for only 1.4% of sales that year. I did a rather comprehensive article on this body style for the Dec 2002 issue of Collectible Automobile. So the Land Cruiser was a somewhat last minute design but not the '34 line.