Studebaker retirees in body plant today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker retirees in body plant today

Took about fifteen retirees who worked at the body plant on a tour of it today. It was like a bunch of kids in a candy store sharing stories and finding their old work stations they haven't seen in at least fifty years. Many said they will show up for the presentation and tour next Friday starting at ten at Union Station which is next to 506 W. South Street in South Bend.Excellent stories told, got some pictures and should have some exciting news at the event next week. Hope to see you there. Tim

I almost booked a flight to be able to do this tour ... But the way flights are being messed up in the States I decided against it ..
    Looking forward to seeing the pics of the Body plant ..
    Love my Lark

Comment

Train rides are nice.

Comment

First ten people to show up at Union Station for the tour get a free brick from the engine plant on Sample Street. Tim

Comment

Just curious, is there any of the machinery left in the plant or is just an empty shell?
          Nick

Comment

It's pretty much empty but you can still see some of the rails In the ceiling and where the rails and grease from assembly are left in the floor. Should be able to places places with pictures and with descriptions from retirees and a little imagination it should all come to life. A lot will be question and answer from workers. Please remember we are not professional tour guides and this has never happened before.

Comment

The third floor is probably the best as far as "stuff from production" left on the floor and cieling. It may look like an empty shell but if you look in detail it's fairly easy to figure the building out.
              And as far as the tour guide thing goes, we are "semi-pro"
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing the pics, and hopefully reading some of the retirees stories.

Comment

My loving wife said she would "maintain the store" at the Fairgrounds so I can take the tour. We park in the Union Station parking lot?

Comment

There's a lot of room on the street and I will try to contact the Cove owner about overflow. He's really easy to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                      My loving wife said she would "maintain the store" at the Fairgrounds so I can take the tour. We park in the Union Station parking lot?
                      Union Station or the old factory employee lot which is right across the way. If that's full there will also be parking directly in front of building #84 where the old Avanti building used to be. Anywhere is fine.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Thanks Chris, wouldn't have happened without you and Bill's help today.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
                          Thanks Chris, wouldn't have happened without you and Bill's help today.
                          Thanks Tim, but it would not be possible without the work you have put into this.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Boy, I wish I could've been there. Looking forward to seeing all the pix of the tour, especially the former Stude employees.

Rog
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                            X