PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Studebaker Items #12 (closeout on side and tail gate steps)

04-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Maybe the Museum has the blueprints for these- repop?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Accessories/Side%20Loading%20and%20Tailgate%20Step%20on%20sale%20(605x800).jpg

studegary
04-26-2013, 04:14 PM
I guess that these did not sell well. I do not see a date on the sale sheet. Do you know when it was issued? I wonder how long from first issue, in 1949, to the closeout sale.

garyash
04-26-2013, 06:41 PM
These were made by C.K. Turk Co. in South Bend, the same people that made the Caravan tops. I made some reproductions of the Turk decal that was on them. If you need one to restore a step, I can supply it.

04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I guess that these did not sell well. I do not see a date on the sale sheet. Do you know when it was issued? I wonder how long from first issue, in 1949, to the closeout sale.
Most of these forms were from 1949 and 1950. Some are dated but unfortunately this one isn't, but I would guess 1950 to maybe early 1951.

Chris_Dresbach
04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Call me crazy but I swear that I've seen one of those in real life before. (and yes, I know I am crazy...) ;)

Skip Lackie
04-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Call me crazy but I swear that I've seen one of those in real life before. (and yes, I know I am crazy...) ;)

Some of us have been treasuring those things for years, but been unable to bring themselves to drill the mounting holes.

stude-sled
04-27-2013, 08:22 AM
I had a set on my 1950, I removed and restored them. I sold the pair at the last International meet that was in Springfield Mo.

studelark
04-27-2013, 05:49 PM
I recall seeing one of the side steps on a 2R10/2R11 back in the mid-50s of an uncle's neighbor. I think the guess that they were not very popular would be a correct assumption. That blue pickup was a '49 or '50.

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 1948 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Bellingham Studenut
04-29-2013, 01:13 AM
I have a 1959 Transtar that had holes in the tailgate.
I bought a NOS Tailgate Step, then realized what the holes were for.
Unfortunately the truck got a massive bumper installed that won't allow the step to work if the tailgate can't go all the way down.
The step section folds flat against the tailgate until you swing it open, with tailgate down.
I'm sure it helped give an idea for the Wagonaire.

James

04-29-2013, 09:10 AM
I have a 1959 Transtar that had holes in the tailgate.
I bought a NOS Tailgate Step, then realized what the holes were for.
Unfortunately the truck got a massive bumper installed that won't allow the step to work if the tailgate can't go all the way down.
The step section folds flat against the tailgate until you swing it open, with tailgate down.
I'm sure it helped give an idea for the Wagonaire.

James
The first post about the tailgate step showed it as being adjustable for a truck with a bumper- http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?70945-Unusual-Studebaker-Items-11-(truck-tailgate-step)

jclary
04-29-2013, 09:51 AM
These might be a great item and a wonderful idea for a Studebaker truck (back in the day), being used as a daily "in service" work truck. However, for a collector truck, daily driver hobby truck...they are a horrible idea! Just think...the paint on those things is the same paint on the hood, roof, bumper, and fenders. It's hard enough keeping folks from propping their feet on your bumpers while engaging in casual conversation...let alone giving such a tempting target as a step!:eek:

Additionally, placing the step on the side of the bed would require a hefty backing plate to keep the sheet metal from flexing, buckling, and cracking the paint from the stress of supporting the weight of a person with an armload of of cargo. Also, the proposed tail gate mounting for those fragile tailgates is even more prone to sheet metal damage, distortion, and paint scuffing.:(

That said...I love 'em...and am happy to see the old ads. Just don't want one on my truck!:)

Skip Lackie
04-29-2013, 12:13 PM
These might be a great item and a wonderful idea for a Studebaker truck (back in the day), being used as a daily "in service" work truck. However, for a collector truck, daily driver hobby truck...they are a horrible idea! Just think...the paint on those things is the same paint on the hood, roof, bumper, and fenders. It's hard enough keeping folks from propping their feet on your bumpers while engaging in casual conversation...let alone giving such a tempting target as a step!:eek:

Additionally, placing the step on the side of the bed would require a hefty backing plate to keep the sheet metal from flexing, buckling, and cracking the paint from the stress of supporting the weight of a person with an armload of of cargo. Also, the proposed tail gate mounting for those fragile tailgates is even more prone to sheet metal damage, distortion, and paint scuffing.:(

That said...I love 'em...and am happy to see the old ads. Just don't want one on my truck!:)

I agree, John -- which is why I've owned one for decades and never installed it. If someone out there desperately needs it, let me know.

Bellingham Studenut
04-29-2013, 01:25 PM
I see now how it might work with the bumper.
I'd hate to have the tailgate paint hitting the bumper, but looks like the frame of the tailgate would only hit.
The long verticle mounting strips create a strong support on the center of tailgate. Our trucks tailgate didn't get bent, or rippled by the original step, but the bed itself has lots of dings from the farm use.
Not sure if it was removed because it sticks out several inches with tailgate up, or other reason.
I may go ahead and mount the nos one and put small rubber pads where tailgate hits the bumper.
There was also a bumper I have seen that allows the tailgate to fold completely down, or allow for a camper.

Thanks,

James

Deaf Mute
04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
My Daughters '57 pickup had one on it when she bought it. Still there now, but the previous owner ran into it with something, caving in the side of the box, which caused us restoration headaches!