X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude key blanks

Had a hardware store owner tell me that he won't cut keys for
    "antique" cars, because the key blanks are made of such hard metal
    that they ruin the cutting wheel on the key cutter.

Anyone ever heard of such? He's a guy in his 60's who's been doing
    this for 30 years, not a long-haired, dope-smoking, kid with 47
    tattoos, so I tend to believe what he says. Says he's BT, DT.

BTW, he had two blanks on his rack that ought to work on my Cruiser.
    One was a Curtis Y-133, and a tiny round key with "Y-6" on one side,
    which seems to match the trunk. We'll see tonight!

Dave Miller,
    Sylvester, Ga.

I never heard of this situation, but I think a better place to go is a locksmith or key shop.

I sell the good quality brass nickel plated Studebaker keys with the original Studebaker logo on them, no need to search stores for the aftermarket generic ones that are getting hard to find.
    Rich.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I never heard of this situation, but I think a better place to go is a locksmith or key shop.

I sell the good quality brass nickel plated Studebaker keys with the original Studebaker logo on them, no need to search stores for the aftermarket generic ones that are getting hard to find.
      Rich.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've been getting the doors back together on my old 52 lately. Had locks, and keys that went in them but would not turn them.
        Wasn't sure if the lock was frozen or just the wrong key.

I looked in the phone book and remembered one place, an old lock shop in the old part of downtown. Sure enough same owners for about 50 years. The next day they had me set up perfect. All new keys that did work, the lady said those were the last 2 blanks of that type she had. They didn't say anything about them being hard to cut though.
        Cost me under $20.

Dan
        52 hardtop

Comment

I've been getting the doors back together on my old 52 lately. Had locks, and keys that went in them but would not turn them.
          Wasn't sure if the lock was frozen or just the wrong key.

I looked in the phone book and remembered one place, an old lock shop in the old part of downtown. Sure enough same owners for about 50 years. The next day they had me set up perfect. All new keys that did work, the lady said those were the last 2 blanks of that type she had. They didn't say anything about them being hard to cut though.
          Cost me under $20.

Dan
          52 hardtop

Comment

The key blank material has something to do with cutting or not cutting them. If you take a magnet to the key and it sticks then I wouldn't cut it because the steel keys will mess up a cutting wheel. Most keys are made of brass. I am a locksmith by trade for the past 11 years. Keith

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

The key blank material has something to do with cutting or not cutting them. If you take a magnet to the key and it sticks then I wouldn't cut it because the steel keys will mess up a cutting wheel. Most keys are made of brass. I am a locksmith by trade for the past 11 years. Keith

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

I call BS. ( after reading Lincoln77's post, I retract my BS call).

I took one of those fancy Studebaker blanks (like StudeRich sells) to Ace Hardware, and they happily churned it out. It worked perfect.

Just find a more enthusiastic merchant. After all, they should be happy to take your money

Comment

I call BS. ( after reading Lincoln77's post, I retract my BS call).

I took one of those fancy Studebaker blanks (like StudeRich sells) to Ace Hardware, and they happily churned it out. It worked perfect.

Just find a more enthusiastic merchant. After all, they should be happy to take your money

Comment

The trouble with those 60 year old guys who've been doing this forever, is that once they've "BT DT" they get a little reluctant to try something again. Perhaps you could find an open-minded long-haired, dope-smoking, kid with 47 tattoos, who would be willing to pick up the magnet and make sure that he isn't going to wreck the cutting wheel on his $200 key cutting machine, (which is probably loaned from either the Hardware distributor or the key blank vendor) and chat you up on antique cars while he happily cuts your keys.

55 Commander
                    58 Transtar
                    62 GT Hawk
                    66 Cruiser

Comment

The trouble with those 60 year old guys who've been doing this forever, is that once they've "BT DT" they get a little reluctant to try something again. Perhaps you could find an open-minded long-haired, dope-smoking, kid with 47 tattoos, who would be willing to pick up the magnet and make sure that he isn't going to wreck the cutting wheel on his $200 key cutting machine, (which is probably loaned from either the Hardware distributor or the key blank vendor) and chat you up on antique cars while he happily cuts your keys.

55 Commander
                      58 Transtar
                      62 GT Hawk
                      66 Cruiser

Comment

Try the dope somker. Some are really shape and willing to give it a try (with someone elses equipment.)Nver judge a book by its cover, they say. Thyey're right. (Can also lead to some very interesting Off-Topic experiences.

Karl

quote:Originally posted by HookedonStudies

55 Commander
                        58 Transtar
                        62 GT Hawk
                        66 Cruiser

Comment

Try the dope somker. Some are really shape and willing to give it a try (with someone elses equipment.)Nver judge a book by its cover, they say. Thyey're right. (Can also lead to some very interesting Off-Topic experiences.

Karl

quote:Originally posted by HookedonStudies

55 Commander
                          58 Transtar
                          62 GT Hawk
                          66 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                          X