Trunk Alignment and Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Trunk Alignment and Lock

It seems as if over the past month or so, the trunk is shifting more and more to the right, causing the closing of it to be difficult and a gap to appear at the back large enough to see through... (I sure hope it does not rain soon) Does anyone know why this might be happening and how to correct it? Also for awhile I've not been able to lock my trunk as it's missing the spring that keeps the lock in the proper position, it can open and close...but that's it. Any ideas how to fix this? The lock itself is perfectly fine. Thanks-Kelii
    Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

Be very careful closing that lid, it sounds like one of the hinges is sprung, or has bad or missing springs.
    If you have push the front edge of the Trunk Lid down to get it even close to closed, that's the first clue. If you continue opening and closing you will bent the Lid where the hinges bolt on. It may require a new hinge.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Be very careful closing that lid, it sounds like one of the hinges is sprung, or has bad or missing springs.
      If you have push the front edge of the Trunk Lid down to get it even close to closed, that's the first clue. If you continue opening and closing you will bent the Lid where the hinges bolt on. It may require a new hinge.
      Sprung hinge? The springs are both there....but how could you tell if they are in bad shape?
      Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

Comment

When one side pulls the lid down more than the other, and as I said the front edge will not come down tight. I thought that is what you said was the problem, maybe not.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When pulling down, there is quite a lot of resistance from the left side of the trunk. When closed, the panel gaps on the right side are a lot closer. On the left they are farther away, the bottom near the bumper is fine but it's the edge near the rear windshield that is the worst, from the entire left side to about halfway across the car, the panel is lifted enough to stick your pinkie finger in, allowing rainwater (if it ever comes) this must be a recent problem as none of the parts in the trunk are wet, and we did have some rain a few months back.

Comment

That is what Rich is saying. The left (drivers side) trunk hinge is the problem. I have seen hinges go bad on cars that are still under warranty so a car that is 50 years or so old isn't surprising due to metal fatigue & wear.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
              That is what Rich is saying. The left (drivers side) trunk hinge is the problem. I have seen hinges go bad on cars that are still under warranty so a car that is 50 years or so old isn't surprising due to metal fatigue & wear.
              I ran into the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I tried to install a replacement trunk lid I had bought. On close examination we found that the lid had been bending just ahead of the hinge and actually had a crack in it. With the lid lying on it's back on a couple of saw horses we bolted a chunk of bar where the hinge bolted on and pulled up on it until the lid was straight again. Then we cleaned the crack real good and carefully mig welded it carefully building it up some at the same time. Works great now. We also had new hinges we had bought from SASCO and found that the lid rode high all the way across the back. We put in a 1/4" shim between the top of the hinge and body to lower it down. Still a bit high but that is about where we have to leave it as that was where we were running out of stud length.
              So check for a crack in your lid by the hinge.
              This was on my 56 Champion.
              Nick

Comment

Working...
              X