Stolen Studebaker parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Studebaker parts

I just went to recover some Studebaker engines from a friend who was storaging them for me and found an empty space. One was a complete 2R truck engine (170) that was sealed up as a good engine would be. It had a straight drive bell housing attached. The other was a junk engine missing the pan and block caps (also 170) that had the 1st gear start automatic attached to it. I am sure they went to a recycler in the Greenville, SC area but thought I would throw it up here in case anyone had seen them. If someone knows where they went I can work backward from there and put these folks in a cage. I will post engine numbers when I get my stuff sorted through tonight. Thanks, Steve
    sigpic

I am really sorry to hear that, but I fear they are on their way to Korea or China.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not sure what the length of time was from them being stolen to discover them missing, but I would be checking every salvage and scrap metal outfit in the area; especially when you can supply an engine number.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I am really sorry to hear that, but I fear they are on their way to Korea or China.
        They may be gone already and I dont have an immediate use for them. I just went to get them so I could get them into better storage or try to turn them to someone that needed them. I just absolutely hate a theif and would pay to have this one taken down. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Not sure what the length of time was from them being stolen to discover them missing, but I would be checking every salvage and scrap metal outfit in the area; especially when you can supply an engine number.

Craig

I am checking the ones local to where this stuff was stored. I really care much less about getting this stuff back than I want to know where it went to and at whose hands. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Right, as Ossiffer Dave would say: track 'em down and hang 'em by their... (thumbs?)!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When you say "found an empty space" do you mean your friend still lived at or worked the property but the engines were gone? Or, was your friend AND the engines nowhere to be found? Did you talk to the people who own the property where they were stored? It may be if your friend is gone the engines were left behind and assumed abandoned. The property owner may have had them hauled away. If done in a legal time frame that does not constitute theft.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Steve.....what the heck! Sorry to hear this horrible news. Btw....I'll be sharing that space off 25 in two weeks! 51 is the first piece of work. ??
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '57 Golden Hawk
                '51 Champion

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss of the engines. I just hate hearing about thefts like this. I think more of this is going on due to the prices of metals.

Dave Bonn
                  '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Right, as Ossiffer Dave would say: track 'em down and hang 'em by their... (thumbs?)!
                    Close, but no ceegar. <G>
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                      When you say "found an empty space" do you mean your friend still lived at or worked the property but the engines were gone? Or, was your friend AND the engines nowhere to be found? Did you talk to the people who own the property where they were stored? It may be if your friend is gone the engines were left behind and assumed abandoned. The property owner may have had them hauled away. If done in a legal time frame that does not constitute theft.
                      Owner is still there. It is getting nasty. Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                        I'm sorry for your loss of the engines. I just hate hearing about thefts like this. I think more of this is going on due to the prices of metals.

Dave Bonn
                        '54 Champion Starliner
                        This week, I heard about a recent widow that had two old cars stolen from her garage and then the city deemed her garage to be unsafe (seems that the old cars were helping to hold up the garage) and gave her a violation. Some locals volunteered to tear down her garage because she already has barely enough to live on.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Garywala View Post
                          Steve.....what the heck! Sorry to hear this horrible news. Btw....I'll be sharing that space off 25 in two weeks! 51 is the first piece of work. ??

Gary, Please check your PMs.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X