Design Theft: Stealing Styling in the Automotive World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Theft: Stealing Styling in the Automotive World

Saw this lively discussion on another blog....
    Some interesting tidbits and comments!

(first posted 4/23/2013. Updated and expanded 3/26/2017)      It’s an issue that has bugged me for way to many decades: why did the 1959 Lark and 1960 Valiant have such similar […]

(snippet copy - see link for entire article)

Why The 1959 Studebaker Lark Front End Looked So Much Like The 1960 Valiant Front End

By Paul Niedermeyer
    The main task was to drastically reduce the front and rear lengths of the Commander body. That may have been the easy part. But the Lark needed a fresh new face, as well as rear end. This body dated back to 1953, and was generally very out of date.
    One of the magazines we get talked about the styling of the first Lark. Duncan McCrae was the Studebaker stylist. But the secret is out. Really what happened: Virgil Exner leaked some style elements from the Valiant through his son, who was consulting with Studebaker. McCrae took those elements and stuck them on the Lark. Look at the grill and the Valiant. Look at the headlight eyebrows on the Lark. Then look at the Valiant.
    Look at the taillight treatment. Slanted vs. horizontal. McCrae and Stevens worked on the proposals below (referring to the Sceptre
    the 1960 Corvair popularized in Europe and the rest of the world
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

It was alson in December, 2012 Collectible Automobile magazine.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 04-24-2013, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Oh no I've placed valiant taillights on my lark.! Not really they are Lokar

Thanks for the article. And just who is this noted Historian Rob Moore?
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
        Oh no I've placed valiant taillights on my lark.! Not really they are Lokar.
        The Messerschmitt had them first, but they were much closer together!!

Craig

Comment

Oh I like that better Craig. That is my inspiration story from now on Should I say the Messerschmitt plane not the car to get a reaction?
          Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 04-24-2013, 05:59 AM.
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Why are all of the Studebakers represented by pictures of modified cars (except the only 1959, the hardtop) and the other manufacturers' pictures are factory pictures?

I posted a lengthy response to the blog and hit submit. It came back as "invalid data". What I typed disappeared. I gave up.
            Last edited by studegary; 04-24-2013, 10:34 AM. Reason: clarification
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I saw that article as well, almost posted the link. Paul N. has a nice site over there. It's amazing how many old cars he sees everyday being daily driven. In my area, most everyone drives late model, and the old cars you mostly see at car shows...
              sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
              Regal Deluxe Trim
              Automatic transmission
              46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Cars coming up with similar design elements within a year probably isn't theft.
                However, three years is another story. Witness the 1963 Hillman Imp and the early Corvair.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I love this add that said the grill gave unrestricted air flow to the radiator..

Click image for larger version

Name:	100320.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1679877

Modern cars, unless some gaudy Chrysler, the Grill is very small.

Comment

I like that Ad, it goes into a LOT more about Lark Superiority than just the Grille.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[QUOTE=SScopelli;
                      Modern cars, unless some gaudy Chrysler, the Grill is very small.[/QUOTE]

The big, open mouth look of most of the new Fords comes to mind (as another exception to your "rule").
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Why are all of the Studebakers represented by pictures of modified cars (except the only 1959, the hardtop) and the other manufacturers' pictures are factory pictures?

I posted a lengthy response to the blog and hit submit. It came back as "invalid data". What I typed disappeared. I gave up.
                        Yeah I did wonder where they got all those terrible Pics of used Larks almost always the wrong year for the point they were trying to make. And then there is that ugly, lowered and modified '59 Silver Hawk!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A Hawk they couldn't close the hood on + someone's been trying to jack up the car just under the front of the door...

& when it comes to Lark tail-lights I always thought they were something they had leftover from the 47 - 51 era, like stuff they thought they might use but never did.

The 60 - 62 Valiants charmed me already when I was 3 years old & a aunt's boyfriend had one & I remember walking 'round the car look'n at the happy grill & the cat-style tail-lights thinking "I hope I can afford such a beautiful car when I grow up"...
                          So that's why my 1:st US car was one.

& when I was 10-12 years old my dad had a -59 Lark STW red with red interior & for sure I thought a lot 'bout the designs & I used to read all I could about it too, most of it forgotten now thou...

But that thing about eyebrows over the headlights... c'mon, as if that wasn't a not-so-new the fashion of the times??? I mean: just look at a -55 Chevy...

Comment

Yeah. it certainally is a not very good-looker Hawk. I wouldn't park that on my worst friends back 40. . The Chrysler offering is nicely styled. I wouldn't mind having a clean 4 door. cheers jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              The big, open mouth look of most of the new Fords comes to mind (as another exception to your "rule").

And Audi since they came out with what looks like a big gaping hole from previous years when it was only above the bumper.

BP did post some interesting reasoning why many car makers went to smaller grilles: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=shutters

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X