Torque on crank bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque on crank bolt

The 1 1/2 inch bolt on the crank shaft under the water pump on a 289 engine, does that have a high or low torque? Is it 'wired tight' to prevent it from turning?

130 to 140 foot pounds. There are 'ears' on the lock plate that is under the head that are supposed to be bent up to prevent it from loosening.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

How do you keep the engine from rotating when torquing the bolt? Will in gear ( automatic) and brakes on do the trick?

Comment

My Hawk is an automatic and I had to have my son under the car with a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth, but I think with a standard that putting it in gear and chocking the wheels would surely do it. By the way, if you put it in third or fourth, you'll be less likely to make the car move. Oh, I see now that you have an automatic also, so yes you have to lock the flywheel somehow. Do you have a son handy?

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

A dog and a wife. Where did you get access to the fly wheel. Take the starter out?

Comment

On the passenger side there is a large opening that is maybe, but probably not, covered by a shield. Or there is a shield on the front of the bellhousing behind the oilpan that is held on with three bolts. I'm sure you can talk your wife into doing it, but why does it need to be done? Have you taken it apart or replaced the vibration damper or something? It should not need doing unless something has been changed.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I found the fly wheel, a hole on the bottom center of the housing. Looks like an easy spot to work from. This is the Ford Automatic that has been placed into a 1955 president. I tried to turn the crank bolt when adjusting the valves, the bolt moved. It only torques a 'mite' before the engine rotates. The brass locks had not been used on the blot.

Comment

Well, that was a good thing to notice and if you have the radiator out now is the time to retorque it and bend up a tab. Some people think that those bolts never loosen and the tabs don't need bending. Good to be on the safe side I guess. I forgot about the hole in the bottom, that is a good place for someone to hold the big screwdriver in the teeth.
                Good luck,

Tim K.
                '64 R2 GT Hawk
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Got it torqued tonight. I used the passanger side of the transmission case for the screwdriver perch. I set the torque wrench for 150 ft-lbs and went 'till a click. It is nice to have a two foot long handle on the wrench, My wife did a great job under the car's side. It looks like the locking tab is lost, bent the body of the tab base. Thanks for the help.

Comment

If you put a dab of white paint on the side you'll be able to keep an eye on it without a lot of trouble. If you need/want that kind of comfort zone, that is.

Tim K.
                    '64 R2 GT Hawk
                    Tim K.
                    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

A good idea,thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X