Light-switch switching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Light-switch switching...

...or changing more likely! ...probably needed?

Since I've converted to 12-volt negative ground on my -55 sedan I'm now wondering if the light-switch needs to be changed?
    I've experienced trouble with early 60's MoPar's light-switches when using halogen lights instead of bulbs, & that's still the same voltage.

(The rest is already changed / being changed at the moment; instrument lights, gas-meter & sender, temp-meter, turn-signal relay & so on, so not much of need to start discussing that now &/or here...)

seeing how you reduced the current flow (amps) to half of what it is with a 6v system you are actually under-using the capacity of the switch...you should be good to use it as it... cheers, Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The Halogen Lamps are not using more Voltage, but much more Amperage, overloading the wiring and the switches, both Dimmer and Head Light Sw. also the breaker.

The fix is a Low amp. circuit from the switches to a relay capable of higher Amps. to the Lights.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 12 volt halogen headlamps will still draw less current than the old 6 volt lamps that the switches were designed for.

Leave the old switches in there. You might clean them with contact cleaner.

There have been extensive discussions on this board about 6 to 12 volt conversions. All of the information is in these discussions, plus Randy Rundles book "official 6-12 volt conversion guide." It's always a good idea to read up on and understand what you are doing before doing it.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

When I converted my '55 over to 12 volts, I kept the original switches. I replaced all the wiring in the car, but with the switches, all I did was work them back and forth to clean the contacts up a bit, and maybe lube them too. The switches are fairly stout, so if they're in good shape, they shouldn't have any trouble with 12 volts. I'd be more concerned about the 60 year old original wiring(if it still has it) running to the switches, than I would about the switches.
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Thanx a lot!
            I really like these answers...

Comment

Working...
            X