Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To those who have seen final assembly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those who have seen final assembly...

I'm planning the repairs on my car. Did Studebaker assembly the interior before or after the body was mated to the chassis? I'm assuming the steering column was already in the body before the drop. What about the carpet and seats?
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

I know nothing about this, but I'm happy see some work getting done on this project. It's a really cool idea, you see alot of brand X people do the (day two) thing, but not alot of stude setup like that, and people need to recognize that stude was pushin' out the muscle before alomst anyone else. Good luck!

Comment

Is it just me, or does the above response have absolutely nothing to do with this post?

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
        Is it just me, or does the above response have absolutely nothing to do with this post?
        No its not just you. I simply wanted to complement the OP's project, and since the original thread is rarely brought up anymore I thought I post it here. the only that is truly relevent is that he's working on his project again which why I complented him. Granted your post calling me out bears even less relevance than mine. I guess I at least bumped it back to the top.
        Last edited by GThawkwind; 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Since Studebaker did not have a modern collapsable column or even a seperate column, (except on very few ) it was installed after the body drop. The steering box shaft is attached the frame, the body lowered over that, and then the outer column slid on over the shaft from the inside.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'm hoping we can bring the thread back on track. I was hoping to know if the body was lowered with the carpet and seats installed or just the side trim.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I would assume that the carpet and seats were added after the fact in order to have easy access to the mounting bolts through the floor.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The body went to final assembly as a fully assembled unit with the exception of the front end sheet metal. It didn't get it's rear fenders until later if it was a '47-'52. I think that in some years seats would have been added later but would have been made on the 6th floor of building #84.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

May answer your question.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks Richard, it does. Seats and carpet after the drop. Thank you!
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Did anyone else notice the irony in Dick Quinn's Post#9 photo?

You have the cheapest 1958 Studebaker 4-door sedan (Scotsman, W1, MSRP $1,874) being assembled alongside the most expensive 1958 4-door sedan (President, Y6, MSRP $2639) with only $765 between them. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I did note this, Bob. Also, straining vainly to see if I could detect any info on the lowering body's body tag, it appears there's something taped to the cowl - just inboard of where said tag would be. Could be just a reflection OR... looking at that Scotsman's cowl as well - right to the left of the one fella's shoulder - it looks like there's a similar sheet maybe taped there as well. A spec sheet maybe? One that was removed down the line some? There had to be documents asscociated with each vehicle as it caqme along. Maybe what I think I see is such???
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                          No its not just you. I simply wanted to complement the OP's project, and since the original thread is rarely brought up anymore I thought I post it here. the only that is truly relevent is that he's working on his project again which why I complented him. Granted your post calling me out bears even less relevance than mine. I guess I at least bumped it back to the top.
                          What is his project? I dont believe I have seen the original thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                            I did note this, Bob. Also, straining vainly to see if I could detect any info on the lowering body's body tag, it appears there's something taped to the cowl - just inboard of where said tag would be. Could be just a reflection OR... looking at that Scotsman's cowl as well - right to the left of the one fella's shoulder - it looks like there's a similar sheet maybe taped there as well. A spec sheet maybe? One that was removed down the line some? There had to be documents asscociated with each vehicle as it came along. Maybe what I think I see is such???
                            'Sounds reasonable to me, Bob. I don't have any further insight or information. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In Dick's Assembly Line Photo, the Kid in the lower right corner looks pretty busy puffing that Cigarette!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X