Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larks can't swim...Crisis averted. Thanks Dad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larks can't swim...Crisis averted. Thanks Dad!

I think I (Dad & his ol' fart friends) may have saved the Lark today. Anyone living in the midwest or watching the weather knows that Illinois just got inundated with rain. The whole state is filling sand bags waiting for their local river, creek or stream to crest. The 20+year restoration of my Lark, which is finally close to complete, is now in the upholstery shop. The shop is in the small town of Rome, Illinois along the Illinois River. In the next few days it is expected that the Illinois River will crest at about 30' in Peoria, Illinois and about 34' at Henry, Illinois. Flood stage for the river is 18'. Rome, Illinois is about 1/2 way between Peoria & Henry. I figure 32' is a safe bet at Rome. I was good at math!!! The upholstery shop, as best we can figure, is about 31' . I wasn't comfortable with those numbers. The Upholsterer assured me that the river had never flooded anywhere close to his shop. When the weather service said all flood records were gonna be broken...I decided I had too much time, money and effort invested to even take a chance. I called my dad this morning from work. Told him we need the trailer, truck and winch because we were going to get the Lark as soon as I got off work. I was afraid we might have to go fishing for Lark. He said he thought it was a good idea. In fact it was such a good idea that dad and one of his ol' fart friends were alreayd on their way to get it!!! The Lark is high, dry & warm in dad's garage for a few days (or weeks) until trhe river drops & the upholsterer can finish up the last couple details. Thanks Dad!!! I love ol' farts!

Man, we could use a few trainloads o dat water out here! And the Larks wouldn't mind at all!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Spring made its announcement over the last couple of days, as we received a rather ongoing amount of rainfall out here in the past 2 days! It's almost feels like that whatever drought conditions we had last year were immediately erased because we got all of that rain all at once. The end result was some very soggy land flooded and collasped roadways and basements, and some equally flooded and swollen, creeks and rivers spread out all over the state! Our own Fox River up here, which is usually a slinking mud puddle, is now a gushing, flooded torrent, so I can imagine the Illinois is equally as bad!
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
        Man, we could use a few trainloads o dat water out here! And the Larks wouldn't mind at all!
        Get a long enough hose & I'll GLADLY pump you a few thousand gallons out of my cellar!!!

Comment

Standing water in every field around here and most of the ditches are full. Hopefully we don't get to re-enact the Gilligan's Island thing again this year. Good that you got it out of there before it got wet!
          http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mary Ann or Ginger???? Wow! this thred went to hell lots faster than average!

Comment

Mary Ann of course.. You may want to add a Poll to this thread for that question as well

Comment

Yep, well here in Central Indiana, we "received" about 4.5 inches yesterday. I have lived in my house 22 years, and this morning, had water in the basement! Never had it before!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Here's the Gilligan story,, A couple years ago we got 12"+ of rain in a little over 4 hours after a week of steady rain. This is the road in front of my house under normal circumstances. This is what it looked like after the massive rainfall. that ripple in the water left of the green light is the roof of a 4x4 midsized suv. For the next 2 days we had a moat and couldn't go more than a couple miles from the house without running into a large body of water. Its looking like it could happen again.
                  http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                    Mary Ann of course.. You may want to add a Poll to this thread for that question as well
                    That's what THIS thread is for!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=ginger

Craig

Comment

Hooray! Your Lark didn't get its feet wet. Or its belly, arms, innards....

I found it interesting that the thread went as long as it did without discussing WHICH one was Ginger and WHICH one was Mary Ann. That only was touched on towards the end and frankly could be just as interesting a poll
                      Last edited by LeoH; 04-20-2013, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X