What would you rather have??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you rather have??

If you were looking at a 53 commander coupe and you had your choice of standard 15 full wheel covers or a set of 55 speedster wire wheels covers what would take?? lets just keep this post between the two mentioned here.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

The standard full wheel covers.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

standard full wheel covers.. never really liked the wire cover/wheel design..

Comment

Well if the wheels are still stock the speedster covers look realy classie.

Comment

Wire wheel covers
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Bob,
            What you call "55 speedster wire wheels covers" were actually an available option in '53. The tri-star full covers of the early models have not been reproduced, while later non-tri-star have. Both display the clean and perfect design that fit the first generation C/K.
            The full wheel covers are having issues staying put. Wheel covers without a lot of stamping detail tend to suffer from some warpage that makes them prone to not enjoy retainment. The wire covers are bolted to the wheels and will not disappear on a whim. All in all, it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the clean look of the full covers but have lost a few on the highway. The wire covers are like the Harrington diamonds on Dynasty; flashy and entirely unnecessary but...I've not lost a one.

Last edited by rockne10; 04-18-2013, 08:31 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The wire wheel covers are nice, but I really like those standard full wheel covers. They really compliment the car nicely.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I would run the stock full covers, but might take the wires if they are worth more and sell them off
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Brad,I'm only guessing but were'nt those covers available on 52 models ?
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I like the clean look of the full covers. The wires are flashy, but the design is sleek,not flashy. The 55's are more suited to the excesses of the 55 styling.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have full covers on my 55 and they do like "right". I see many with the wires and they look great, too, but seem like more to clean and maintain. I'll take the wire covers, Bob, if the price is right (lol).
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Had the wire wheel covers on my 54 did not like the look sold and bought new tires with the money. They look good on speedsters though.
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

The smooth full wheelcovers for me, with the three raised portions would be even better.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                            If you were looking at a 53 commander coupe and you had your choice of standard 15 full wheel covers or a set of 55 speedster wire wheels covers what would take?? lets just keep this post between the two mentioned here.
                            Personally I like either type. I have the Tri-Star full covers, but they are pretty fragile and pop off pretty easily so I use the wires (that came off an original '53 Commander Starliner, not a Speedster) because of the bolt-on application. When I lived in Castro Valley I actually had someone try to pry off one of the wires (unsuccessfully).
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Since there aint no option of the pretty small ones I'll go for wires.

Comment

Working...
                              X