PDA

View Full Version : What would you rather have??

candbstudebakers
04-18-2013, 10:21 PM
If you were looking at a 53 commander coupe and you had your choice of standard 15 full wheel covers or a set of 55 speedster wire wheels covers what would take?? lets just keep this post between the two mentioned here.

JRoberts
04-18-2013, 10:27 PM
The standard full wheel covers.

63avanti.
04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
standard full wheel covers.. never really liked the wire cover/wheel design..

55coupe
04-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Well if the wheels are still stock the speedster covers look realy classie.

fpstude
04-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Wire wheel covers

rockne10
04-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Bob,
What you call "55 speedster wire wheels covers" were actually an available option in '53. The tri-star full covers of the early models have not been reproduced, while later non-tri-star have. Both display the clean and perfect design that fit the first generation C/K.
The full wheel covers are having issues staying put. Wheel covers without a lot of stamping detail tend to suffer from some warpage that makes them prone to not enjoy retainment. The wire covers are bolted to the wheels and will not disappear on a whim. All in all, it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the clean look of the full covers but have lost a few on the highway. The wire covers are like the Harrington diamonds on Dynasty; flashy and entirely unnecessary but...I've not lost a one.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/KRC%20August%202012%20at%20Yearicks%20Iron%20Horse%20Ranch/P8190002.jpg

raprice
04-19-2013, 07:22 AM
The wire wheel covers are nice, but I really like those standard full wheel covers. They really compliment the car nicely.
Rog

t walgamuth
04-19-2013, 07:57 AM
I would run the stock full covers, but might take the wires if they are worth more and sell them off;)

63t-cab
04-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Brad,I'm only guessing but were'nt those covers available on 52 models ?

bezhawk
04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I like the clean look of the full covers. The wires are flashy, but the design is sleek,not flashy. The 55's are more suited to the excesses of the 55 styling.

warrlaw1
04-19-2013, 10:13 AM
I have full covers on my 55 and they do like "right". I see many with the wires and they look great, too, but seem like more to clean and maintain. I'll take the wire covers, Bob, if the price is right (lol).

Anne F. Goodman
04-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Had the wire wheel covers on my 54 did not like the look sold and bought new tires with the money. They look good on speedsters though.

studegary
04-19-2013, 01:45 PM
The smooth full wheelcovers for me, with the three raised portions would be even better.

04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
If you were looking at a 53 commander coupe and you had your choice of standard 15 full wheel covers or a set of 55 speedster wire wheels covers what would take?? lets just keep this post between the two mentioned here.
Personally I like either type. I have the Tri-Star full covers, but they are pretty fragile and pop off pretty easily so I use the wires (that came off an original '53 Commander Starliner, not a Speedster) because of the bolt-on application. When I lived in Castro Valley I actually had someone try to pry off one of the wires (unsuccessfully).

Nox
04-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Since there aint no option of the pretty small ones I'll go for wires.

Chris Pile
04-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Full wheel covers EVERY time.

The Speedster covers are FAKE wires, and I think they are ugly.
I mean - come on! Wires AND a little hubcap?
They're as tacky as leopard skin seat covers.

SN-60
04-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Full wheel covers EVERY time.

The Speedster covers are FAKE wires, and I think they are ugly.
I mean - come on! Wires AND a little hubcap?
They're as tacky as leopard skin seat covers.

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!.....The wires used on the 'Speedster' wire wheel cover assemblies ARE actually separate pieces of wire tack welded to the outer cover. (You thought they were made of PLASTIC????)

DEEPNHOCK
04-19-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm lazy...
Wires take too much work to keep clean...:o
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Chris Pile
04-19-2013, 06:58 PM
CORRECTION!!!!!!!!.....The wires used on the 'Speedster' wire wheel cover assemblies ARE actually separate pieces of wire tack welded to the outer cover. (You thought they were made of PLASTIC????)

WTH did you get the idea I was thinking plastic?
Yes - I know they are made of wire - but they are NOT a REAL wire-spoked wheel.
In my book that is the ONLY real wire wheel.
So, yeah - Speedster "wires" are fake. They have a real steel wheel behind them.

rknight89
04-19-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm a big fan of the wheel covers for two reasons. First, I think the look better on the car(opinion) and obviously so did the designers. Second, They are a lot less maintenance than wire wheels(fact). I HATE cleaning wire wheels and if you've never had to clean them, you'll learn to hate it as well if you get them. Just my thoughts.

SN-60
04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
WTH did you get the idea I was thinking plastic?
Yes - I know they are made of wire - but they are NOT a REAL wire-spoked wheel.
In my book that is the ONLY real wire wheel.
So, yeah - Speedster "wires" are fake. They have a real steel wheel behind them.

Actually, they're made of stainless steel Chris!. (Get Your facts first................)

candbstudebakers
04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Boy did I get an ear full on this subject but that's what this is all about, really the wire wheel covers used by Studebaker are not that hard to clean , in fact a lot easier that real wires wheels since you can pop off the covers and unbolt the wires with out doing all the lugs on the wheel and once off into the dish washer they go and out they come nice and clean being stainless no problem. Dave they are in rather nice shape if you are really interested PM me...Bob

SN-60
04-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Bob,
What you call "55 speedster wire wheels covers" were actually an available option in '53. The tri-star full covers of the early models have not been reproduced, while later non-tri-star have. Both display the clean and perfect design that fit the first generation C/K.
The full wheel covers are having issues staying put. Wheel covers without a lot of stamping detail tend to suffer from some warpage that makes them prone to not enjoy retainment. The wire covers are bolted to the wheels and will not disappear on a whim. All in all, it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the clean look of the full covers but have lost a few on the highway. The wire covers are like the Harrington diamonds on Dynasty; flashy and entirely unnecessary but...I've not lost a one.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/KRC%20August%202012%20at%20Yearicks%20Iron%20Horse%20Ranch/P8190002.jpg

What a nice looking '53 Commander coupe!!

Chris Pile
04-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Actually, they're made of stainless steel Chris!. (Get Your facts first................)

You need new glasses. I said the wheel was steel. And I know what stainless is - I machined plenty of it for decades in the aircraft biz.

Andy R.
04-20-2013, 01:02 AM
IMHO, the '53-'55 are the best wheel covers ever designed for any car.
I'd be tempted to see how they'd look (however incorrectly) on the GT.

They are also the sole image on the cover of the 1953 "Ten Automobiles" exhibit at the NY Museum of Modern Art.

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/wp-content/uploads/1465.jpg

04-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Wow! I am about shamed in to taking off the imitation wires and putting on my Tri-Star full covers.
Speaking of incorrect application, back when I was still working in the DC suburbs I was walking along the street and found a beat up old Datsun (pre-Nissan name) pickup parked along the street. It was sporting a full set of Tri-Star full covers.

t walgamuth
04-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Since there aint no option of the pretty small ones I'll go for wires.

I like those little ones too.

t walgamuth
04-20-2013, 06:53 AM

They are also the sole image on the cover of the 1953 "Ten Automobiles" exhibit at the NY Museum of Modern Art.

I have always thought they are the best looking wheel cover ever designed. Functional and great looking. Because of the rarity of the tri star covers I probably would not drive around with them but would get a set of the repros.

Back when I owned my 53 coupe I bought a set of the repros at the south bend stude flea market. when I sold off the car I kept them and ran them on my utility trailer for a while. When Rick Moon's son put the old 53 on the road again I gave them to him because I was so proud of him for DD the 53.

SN-60
04-20-2013, 07:56 AM
You need new glasses. I said the wheel was steel. And I know what stainless is - I machined plenty of it for decades in the aircraft biz.

Just having a little fun with You Chris!!....You see, we in the '55 Speedster community DO NOT LIKE Speedster wire wheel covers referred to as 'FAKE and 'UGLY'. Cheer up now!!!

Chris Pile
04-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Just having a little fun with You Chris!!....You see, we in the '55 Speedster community DO NOT LIKE Speedster wire wheel covers referred to as 'FAKE and 'UGLY'. Cheer up now!!!

I'm sure you don't. Doesn't change my opinion of the covers.
I AM a big fan of Speedsters.....

studegary
04-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Does anyone, probably Richard Q., have a copy of the booklet put out by the NY Museum of Modern Art when they originally displayed the 1953 Starliner? The guy that I bought my Daytona Wagonaire from had one in his collection (he also had owned a '53 Commander Starliner new and a '55 Speedster new). I have tried to locate one of these brochures/booklets since and have been unsuccessful. I even contacted the MoMA (years ago). At this point, I would mostly like to see one to refresh my memory of what is in it.

SN-60
04-20-2013, 04:21 PM
The '53-'55 'full wheelcover', in NOS condition, is probably the cleanest, nicest looking wheel cover ever produced by ANY domestic car maker. My Dad bought a '55 President State Sedan (Ultra-Vista) brand new in June of 1955......Guess what was 'liberated' off that car in the middle of the night before it was even a month old?

candbstudebakers
04-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Not the wires, maybe the caps but not the bucket and wires.