Hubcap coloring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Hubcap coloring

I have a nice set of full rim wheelcovers on my 60 Lark wagon. The have the black S in the center and the ridges 1" or 2" around the outside.
    I have hand cleaned and polished the covers and noticed there's a coloring in between the ribs around the outside of the rim.
    Has anyone bothered to renew/refurbish a set of these and what did you do to recolor/repair the dull silver color in between the ribs?

There are kits with vinyl appliques to redo these.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you. I'll go look for those.
      Vinyl appliques? Hooey, that'll be an afternoon's mindless diversion!

Comment

Studebaker International has them. Part # 801718 for $35.00 plus shipping. You have full wheel covers. Hub caps (or dog dish caps, poverty caps, ect) were standard equipment on most cars whereas the wheel covers were an accessory option.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
          Thank you. I'll go look for those.
          Vinyl appliques? Hooey, that'll be an afternoon's mindless diversion!
          Not only this question, but also some others, makes me think that you are not a member of SDC (join from this site) and that you do not have an owner's manual for your car. Spending this small amount of money will be a big help to you and save you time and money in the long run.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I am a member, I belong to our local chapter and I have the manuals on order.

Comment

I also am curious why you would consider MY considering applying 120 to 160 some vinyl squares of silver color in between the ribs of 4 wheel covers as tedious, that that reaction on my part is a sign that I am not a true Studebaker fan?

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                I also am curious why you would consider MY considering applying 120 to 160 some vinyl squares of silver color in between the ribs of 4 wheel covers as tedious, that that reaction on my part is a sign that I am not a true Studebaker fan?
                If this is directed at me, I do not understand. Perhaps you are reading something into my post that I did not intend.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

You know Leo, these posts are like emails, it is SO easy to misunderstand one's real thoughts using electronic methods, I much prefer the Telephone, but I understand this has it's advantages.

I don't think the Decal issue was what made Gary think you had not gained much knowledge, but the many, many newbie questions you ask that us old timer LIFERS already know and readers of "Turning Wheels" are learning.

I get it that it takes time to pick up all this stuff that I have had 50 years to learn but I often forget that myself, because we get the same questions OVER, and over.
                  None of us intend to drive New members away, but our answers sometimes could do that if you have thin skin, so I am SURE NONE of us INTEND to do that...SORRY! If you were to talk face to face with Gary or I, you would not get a bad impression at all, I am SURE.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I pm'd Gary, to explain how his post came across to me so I could say my piece without getting all public about it. I'm done and have moved on. I should be pleased that in being on this forum since last October or November, if it's taken 6 months for me to have a negative interaction with a stranger in a public bulletin board, that's not bad.

I'm torn between explaining why I was irked and not wanting to describe how one guy's posting hit a nerve. His post was a good start, I got to tell him how I took what he wrote, and we can move on.
                    I really don't think I've posted anything particularly out of the ordinary, that was part of my response to a perception that I've been asking novice questions. I do to our local club meetings monthly and chat a bit, but unfortunately guys, when the forum's here, it sort of IS a de facto club gathering, so I take discussions here as relatively open and not restricted. That's where I'm at.
                    The other thing, unfortunately for the been there/done that members, along with the fact that you've forgotten more than many of us will know, is, since this information we're asking and you're sharing is conveyed in written conversation, even when it's clearly written, sometimes it just isn't going to translate or stick.
                    Not even taking into consideration when we read something on the screen and then try to sometimes make what we see in or under the car match what we read inside the house.

I was thinking a little about my reaction, and I have to admit. This is my second Studebaker, but the first I've purchased and I probably AM in a 17/18 year old mindset about the car. For good or ill. I'm not going to change that frame of reference, and really, I'm enjoying it. I also am giving fair warning that the Studebaker mechanic we were counting on is going through our wagon now, but when I went to chat him up Wednesday, he informed me that he's retiring and selling his business in 2 weeks. Fortunately, the car is pretty sound, and he said he would still work from home and I could arrange to bring the car up to his place and he could sit and direct me where and what to do, as things need to be done, so I still feel fortunate, but I am going to still ask questions here and I still am going to be asking likely basic questions.
                    Patience on both sides, is always a good thing.

Comment

fyi, I did receive the manuals today, and I'm still anticipating the production order.

Comment

Good for you Leo, I am glad you can move on and continue as you wish.
                        Some would and have, taken their Marbles and gone home!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X