Help Paint my Car - Finished Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Paint my Car - Finished Pictures

Okay, I'm getting my 63 Avanti painted next week. But, I'm being fairly frugal, so I'm not having the engine area, trunk, or jams done, as the car hasn't been disassembled.

It is currently factory original Avanti gray. I want to keep the car "near" original in color, meaning that I don't want to make it red, yellow, blue, etc.

But, I want it to be close enough to complement the existing hue on the parts not being painted.

That said, I want to update the look with something like Arctic Seal Gray on a Porsche Carrera GT or some similar color. A little flake? Pearl? Color shifting? Or a different hue?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mama always said: if you can't say something good...[:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mama always said: if you can't say something good...[:0]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well, what mama don't know ...

Go ahead. I'm typically a purist. So, one reason I'm not doing the "rest" of the car, is that I don't want to make it some color other than factory. And I still may go with factory gray. I'm just tryin' to get honest opinions.

So, if you have criticism, that too is helpful.

Comment

Well, what mama don't know ...

Go ahead. I'm typically a purist. So, one reason I'm not doing the "rest" of the car, is that I don't want to make it some color other than factory. And I still may go with factory gray. I'm just tryin' to get honest opinions.

So, if you have criticism, that too is helpful.

Comment

If you are gonna change colors, you really ought to do the jambs, trunk, engine bay, etc. The job will look cheap if you don't. An option, and not a real good one, is to have some of the paint that you use put up in spray cans, so that you can do them at a later time. Since most modern finishes are basecoat/clearcoat, than the jambs, etc. need to be clearcoated.

Comment

If you are gonna change colors, you really ought to do the jambs, trunk, engine bay, etc. The job will look cheap if you don't. An option, and not a real good one, is to have some of the paint that you use put up in spray cans, so that you can do them at a later time. Since most modern finishes are basecoat/clearcoat, than the jambs, etc. need to be clearcoated.

Comment

OK, here goes, paint it right or leave it. The crappy and/or mismatched door jams and the rest would drive me nuts. I'd at least take a weekend and paint that stuff myself, then have the outside shot. You can unhook the wiring harness, bag it out of the way, pull the stuff off the firewall and inner fenders and do a decent paint job under the hood, the jambs are cake to do, and the trunk is black anyway.

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                64 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

OK, here goes, paint it right or leave it. The crappy and/or mismatched door jams and the rest would drive me nuts. I'd at least take a weekend and paint that stuff myself, then have the outside shot. You can unhook the wiring harness, bag it out of the way, pull the stuff off the firewall and inner fenders and do a decent paint job under the hood, the jambs are cake to do, and the trunk is black anyway.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  64 GT R2
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

If the jams and such look GOOD, then leave them, have the paint shop
                    match the color of those areas and call it good. No one will be able
                    to tell .. even JDP!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

to tell .. even JDP!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

What Tom said. When my Cruiser was painted 10 years ago, it was color matched to the original paint. It's a BIT off, but from 3 feet--who knows.

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

to tell .. even JDP!

Tom

Mark Anderson
                        1965 Cruiser

Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

What Tom said. When my Cruiser was painted 10 years ago, it was color matched to the original paint. It's a BIT off, but from 3 feet--who knows.

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

to tell .. even JDP!

Tom

Mark Anderson
                          1965 Cruiser

Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

Hey Mark, what color gray was that Mustang painted [}]?

I'd paint it to match the jambs. It'll stand out the minute the doors are opened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Hey Mark, what color gray was that Mustang painted [}]?

I'd paint it to match the jambs. It'll stand out the minute the doors are opened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X