South Bend Fire Dept. tearing down old Station 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend Fire Dept. tearing down old Station 5

This may not be the biggest news in the world but I find it bittersweet. Right now South Bend is in the process of demolishing SBFD Station 5. Five's is on a weird corner on the outside of South Bend where highway 23, prairie ave; Ewing street, and (I think it's Locust rd.) come together. Five's has been something like an extension of home for many years. My grandpa was a Captain there since the '80s and just recently retired. I believe the building was built in the '50s, retired briefly and put back into serive in the '70s, and was put out of service last Thursday. Since then the crew from Five's has been operating out of central downtown and this past weekend the building was used for forcible entry training; so you can imagine what it looks like now. As of me getting off of work today most of the roof was down.
    The good news is that a new Five's is being built in the same location. It will be the exact same size, but will be two floors plus a basement; single bay for a pumper rig. Honestly I'm surprised they aren't building it a little bigger and adding a second bay for an airial or snorkel rig because new, taller buildings have been built in the area that would require more than a pumper to be put out if a fire happened; but the building could always be added on to.
    Anyway, here's a photo of the old station after it was used for training this week.

We actually own old Engine 5, sort of a sentimental attachment to it.
    Chris Dresbach
Working...
X