Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Red Kote experiences?? and new progress

No, I'm not talking about Paul Revere.

I called a few local radiator places about cleaning out and sealing up my gas tank. It doesn't leak now, but I've never filled it, and I haven't dropped it yet, so I don't know what the top half is like. Whatever is in the tank now probably doesn't much resemble gasoline any more. And since I have my carb rebuilt now, I don't want to run any of this junk through the system.

One nearby shop said they use Red Kote, and quoted a price of only $87 for cleaning and coating the tank. Has anyone used this product? Any trouble with peeling/lifting after the coating? About 50 miles farther away, there's a shop in Holland, MI which uses the Tank-Renu process. Their quote is about $300 higher. Any recommendations are welcome.

Paul (it's time to get this GT running)
    Last edited by 3rdGenStude; 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM. Reason: update title
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Ive had several tanks sealed with this product by my radiator man. I've had very good luck with it. I think the key is good tank cleaning prior to the Red Kote being applied.

Originally posted by 3rdGenStude View Post
    No, I'm not talking about Paul Revere.

I called a few local radiator places about cleaning out and sealing up my gas tank. It doesn't leak now, but I've never filled it, and I haven't dropped it yet, so I don't know what the top half is like. Whatever is in the tank now probably doesn't much resemble gasoline any more. And since I have my carb rebuilt now, I don't want to run any of this junk through the system.

One nearby shop said they use Red Kote, and quoted a price of only $87 for cleaning and coating the tank. Has anyone used this product? Any trouble with peeling/lifting after the coating? About 50 miles farther away, there's a shop in Holland, MI which uses the Tank-Renu process. Their quote is about $300 higher. Any recommendations are welcome.

Paul (it's time to get this GT running)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I have used it also, and it works great! A few years ago I think I paid about $22 for a quart. So, $87 to do it all, is a very fair price!

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

@Russ and Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. The "it's too good to be true" doubt flashed through my mind with the great price quote. Your reassurance from experience makes my decision easier.

In the next 4-6 weeks, I hope to have the engine running and tuned in, and the brake system entirely replaced with new parts (rebuilt in the case of the Hydrovac.) At that point, it should be roadable in dry weather. (Flinstone floors and drivers window/vent removed)

Paul

Comment

My '53 has RedKote in the tank. I agree, just as in a paint job, the quality is going to depend on the preparation. If your shop does a really clean cook on the tank, the RedKote should be reassuring.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Got the tank dropped this afternoon, with help from my wife on one of the bolts. I couldn't keep it from spinning free AND get the ratchet on the other end with just two hands. Just one more way in which she is a "suitable helper" (Genesis reference) for me!

Even though a good share of the trunk floor is rusted away on this GT, the tank looks amazingly good on bottom, top and sides. ! I'll feel pretty comfortable with a good boil-out and the Red Kote. All I have left to do is to get the sending unit out, and I can be off to the radiator shop with it.

My son is donating a bunch of powder coated fuel and brake line for the project from his shop. I've already got all new brake hoses, MC, and wheel cylinders. The Hydrovac will get sent off next week sometime for a rebuild.

If I can get a new exhaust system on her yet this summer, I'll actually be at a point to start some work on less basic things like the floors. (which one of our Studebaker venders does the stainless systems?)

I'm starting to get excited about this project again.

Paul

Comment

If your trunk floor is rusted badly then repair it correctly as the right side of the gas tank is supported by the trunk floor. More then one hawk fuel tank has been known to break thru the rusted mount and drag the ground, ruining the tank and possibly starting a fire.

Got the tank dropped this afternoon, with help from my wife on one of the bolts. I couldn't keep it from spinning free AND get the ratchet on the other end with just two hands. Just one more way in which she is a "suitable helper" (Genesis reference) for me!

Even though a good share of the trunk floor is rusted away on this GT, the tank looks amazingly good on bottom, top and sides. ! I'll feel pretty comfortable with a good boil-out and the Red Kote. All I have left to do is to get the sending unit out, and I can be off to the radiator shop with it.

My son is donating a bunch of powder coated fuel and brake line for the project from his shop. I've already got all new brake hoses, MC, and wheel cylinders. The Hydrovac will get sent off next week sometime for a rebuild.

If I can get a new exhaust system on her yet this summer, I'll actually be at a point to start some work on less basic things like the floors. (which one of our Studebaker venders does the stainless systems?)

I'm starting to get excited about this project again.

Paul

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

You might think about a NEW Hy-dro-vac from Studebaker International, who knows how many times yours has been rebuilt, and if it was done correctly 2 or 3 times ago!!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Paul
                  Silvertone Exhaust Systems for stainless. Don Simmons has an excellent reputation. Phone# 519-485-1966
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X