PDA

View Full Version : A hard lesson learned

rbruner
04-15-2013, 01:09 PM
About a year ago I had a new starter drive, ring gear, torque converter installed on the Champ. A pretty hefty repair as I am not mechanically inclined. Today the starter gear is chewed up & not operable. After research & advice from competent SDC members, I have learned that the likely cause is a bell housing that was not dial indicated & improper starter bolts were used. Hopefully, the ring gear is OK. The replacement starter will be a faster cranking 1964 MDY style Prestolite.
This all happened after a newly rebuilt Avanti R1 was installed. The bell housing was dial indicated & was delivered mounted on the new engine. The old bell housing didn't have dowel pins attached. But, I did take BP's advice & had correct Stude starter bolts installed last summer.
Stude ownership has been a learning experience & I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet! :)

StudeRich
04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
/Cut/The bell housing was dial indicated & was delivered mounted on the new engine. The old bell housing didn't have dowel pins attached. But, I did take BP's advice & had correct Stude starter bolts installed last summer.
Stude ownership has been a learning experience & I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet! :)

Did I get the sequence wrong here? It sounds like you are saying that the Bell Housing WAS dialed in and came with the new Engine. So does that mean that someone INCORRECTLY Dialed it in then? :confused:

rbruner
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Sorry, Rich. What I meant to say was the old starter was probably failing before it was transferred to the new engine. The cause of failure was likely improper alignment & wrong bolts from previous engine.
Shouldn't the mechanic have caught the misalignment originally? Or not?

StudeRich
04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
If he never installed the Dowels (pilot pins) he never had it centered at all, but you would not see that with the eye.
A crankshaft rotation with a Dial Indicator attached would have shown it clearly.

Warren Webb
04-15-2013, 03:11 PM
I would suggest checking the model number of the failed starter. Perhaps it was wrong for your application (wrong # of teeth, ect.). the correct starter bolds have a thicker shoulder than standard hardware store supplied bolts. Unlike some GM starters that have it bolted vertically up from the bottom which require shims for proper alignment Studebakers only needed the unique bolts & the bell housing to be properly dialed in. Dialing it in not only effected the starter position but also the input shaft or torque converter alignment for the transmission.

rbruner
04-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm learning more with each repair, even if I don't do the work myself, I'm understanding more.