PDA

View Full Version : When did Stude switch to the C1**** serials?

Steve T
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Another SDCer and I were looking over a car for sale last week, a very nice, recently restored "driver" '64 Daytona 6 4dr. Or at least so it certainly appeared...then I spied the serial plate, which wore a C1**** number. I had thought that style of plate didn't start until the 1965 model year. Did those numbers actually begin at she point during the "second series", Hamilton-only run of 1964 Studes? (This Daytona, with its pristine Stude OHV 6, all-white steering wheel and checkered-flags badges on the C-pillars, certainly looked the part of a late Hamilton '64. Drives nice, too...we both were granted a bit of wheel time in it.)

Anyway, can anyone enlighten me as to when exactly "64SC-****" would've changed to "C1****"?

S.

BobPalma
04-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Another SDCer and I were looking over a car for sale last week, a very nice, recently restored "driver" '64 Daytona 6 4dr. Or at least so it certainly appeared...then I spied the serial plate, which wore a C1**** number. I had thought that style of plate didn't start until the 1965 model year. Did those numbers actually begin at she point during the "second series", Hamilton-only run of 1964 Studes? (This Daytona, with its pristine Stude OHV 6, all-white steering wheel and checkered-flags badges on the C-pillars, certainly looked the part of a late Hamilton '64. Drives nice, too...we both were granted a bit of wheel time in it.)

Anyway, can anyone enlighten me as to when exactly "64SC-****" would've changed to "C1****"?

S.

When Hamilton reopened for production in January, 1964.

Yes, the 1964 model year was a split model year in terms of Serial Number prefixes. Both 64SC-XXXXX and C1XXXXX were used for 1964 model year sixes built in Hamilton, depending on when they were built. :cool: BP

8E45E
04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
When Hamilton reopened for production in January, 1964.

Yes, the 1964 model year was a split model year in terms of Serial Number prefixes. Both 64SC-XXXXX and C1XXXXX were used for 1964 model year sixes built in Hamilton, depending on when they were built. :cool: BP

Yep, which is why some refer to the later cars with the 'C1 prefix as 'Series 2'.

Craig

StudeRich
04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
You should be able to ID (spot) this Daytona as a "Series II" '64 by the all Bone White Steering Wheel and the "C" Pillar crossed flags emblem without a "V8".