PDA

View Full Version : Highest price ever paid for an item of Studebaker memoribilia?

Studebaker Wheel
04-15-2013, 02:21 AM

Just reading the other day about a Honus Wagner baseball card that sold for a price in excess $2.3 million. That is kind of hard to conceive. Especially since 57 of these cards are still in existence (which seem like quite a few to me since they were originally printed in 1909). This got me to thinking what may have been the highest price ever paid for a piece of Studebaker memorabilia? Not speaking of cars of course but any form of Studebaker collectible. You know like literature, plaques, models, pins etc. For our purposes here we will exclude watches since they were not actually made the wagon/automobile company but by a separate entity. For that matter maybe we can come up with a hypothetical of what item(s) might bring the highest price if it were to come up for sale? To start I know a 55 year employee service anniversary pin that sold for $1250 on April 3 of this year. Can anyone top that? Incidentally I was neither the buyer or seller for the aforementioned pin.

kurtruk
04-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Hypothetical:

Two-sided exterior neon dealership sign
Terra-cotta wheel from proving ground
Original dies for 53-54 C/K grilles
Something R. Quinn hasn't sold yet...:)

BobPalma
04-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Interesting topic! You guys that specialize in collectibles will undoubtedly enlighten many of us along the way. Have at it.

I submit that the high-dollar item will probably NOT be the 1958 Scotsman 4-door sedan single-sheet "brochure" PD8019, even with its citation of the sedan's, "eye-appealing functional interior styling that is color-keyed about the rich, extra-durable, Naugahyde and vinyl upholstery...that will retain its 'new-car freshness' under hard family use." ;) BP

8E45E
04-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Didn't an art-deco neon Rockne dealer sign sell for a huge amount a few years ago? I believe it got donated to the SNM.

Craig

Blue 15G
04-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Just a guess, but I would think that Studebaker Dealer signage (the big ones) would be among the pricier items.

Dave Bonn
'54 Champion Starliner

unclemiltie
04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
If I remember correctly one of the post tops from the fence around the proving grounds sold on Ebay 5 or so years ago for over $1000 but I am not sure of the actual selling price

2R5
04-15-2013, 08:36 AM
I remember a fella had one of those proving ground post tops at a spring swap meet in South Bend about 10 years ago ....he wanted $2200 for it. I don't know if it sold though.

Roscomacaw
04-15-2013, 12:32 PM
I would vote as well, that the signs - the more ornate ones - would bring top buck. This is because the signs are the primary thing that appeals well outside the realm of Studebaker enthusiasts.

Richard, how about sharing what item you've sold that's brought the best return. Ya wouldn't necessarily have to share what the price was.

studegary
04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
The most that I received for one item (that I recall) was $1000. I have something else that I have advertised for more, but it didn't sell. I have never put any Studebaker memoribilia items on eBay, so I may not be a good example. I do have two rooms plus plus of items, but not all that expensive, individually.

Lark Parker
04-15-2013, 04:44 PM
I had a picture of a 60 year service pin in one of my Turning Wheels stories. Unfortunately all my photoshop effort to create the pin went to waste when I didn't get a rise out of Richard Quinn.

That ended my Turning Wheels trolling effort. The "original" pin picture was pretty good but it wasn't big enough in the magazine to troll well.

Studebaker Wheel
04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I had a picture of a 60 year service pin in one of my Turning Wheels stories. Unfortunately all my photoshop effort to create the pin went to waste when I didn't get a rise out of Richard Quinn.

That ended my Turning Wheels trolling effort. The "original" pin picture was pretty good but it wasn't big enough in the magazine to troll well.

Lark; See second item from end on my web site: http://www.thestudebakerwheel.com/employee_pins/employee_pins.htm Don't need yours, I have one.

HAWK64
04-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Just reading the other day about a Honus Wagner baseball card that sold for a price in excess $2.3 million. That is kind of hard to conceive. Especially since 57 of these cards are still in existence (which seem like quite a few to me since they were originally printed in 1909). This got me to thinking what may have been the highest price ever paid for a piece of Studebaker memorabilia? Not speaking of cars of course but any form of Studebaker collectible. You know like literature, plaques, models, pins etc. For our purposes here we will exclude watches since they were not actually made the wagon/automobile company but by a separate entity. For that matter maybe we can come up with a hypothetical of what item(s) might bring the highest price if it were to come up for sale? To start I know a 55 year employee service anniversary pin that sold for $1250 on April 3 of this year. Can anyone top that? Incidentally I was neither the buyer or seller for the aforementioned pin.

Just before Christmas 2010 I managed to snare a 55 year red ball pin on Ebay for $1120 along with a 50 year pin for $591, both from the same seller. Only 6 or 7 of the 55 year pins are known amongst Studebaker memorabilia collectors in the U.S

kurtruk
04-15-2013, 06:53 PM
I would imagine, compared to the signs, etc., that the 55 year service pin would win for most dollars per pound,..er ounce!

Studebaker Wheel
04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
See this now on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300257185616?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649. If it were to sell that would likely be a record....though I do not believe it will. I have an autographed photo of Clem and two of John M. Plus a few checks with J.M.'s signature. The fact that the Ebay one is from a very early date, 1877, is appealing but certainly not $4999 worth!!!