PDA

View Full Version : Rustiest Studebaker pickup project of all time, on Ebay

Milaca
04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/947-Studebaker-Pick-Up-Truck-Wild-And-Krazy-Kool-Rat-Rod-Project-No-Title-/230963992585?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c686d809
It's not that the new owner of this truck will have their work "cut out" for them, but rather "rusted out" for them.

GThawkwind
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Bah it's just a flesh wound!!

rockne10
04-15-2013, 12:01 AM
I see seats in some pictures and no floor in others! :ohmy: We often extoll a fine original patina. Are we now criticizing a filigree? :rolleyes:

sals54
04-15-2013, 01:53 AM
Filigree??? I think we may be treading into tissue paper art.

52-fan
04-15-2013, 09:28 AM
If you could "restore" those running boards you could restore anything. That truck looks like it was stored underwater.

evilhawk
04-15-2013, 10:51 AM
If you could "restore" those running boards you could restore anything. That truck looks like it was stored underwater.

lol I dont know why the seller even included pictures of those. They look like they would break if you touched them.

2R5
04-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I can see saving them because there are people out there that can build new ones and they would be good for a pattern at least.

plwindish
04-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Just original patina on the outside and the bed floor is some of that new "stealth-type" steel, its barely visible!

JunkYardDog
04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Can i do payments ;>)

63avanti.
04-15-2013, 07:47 PM
that would be a fun media blaster candidate

studoc
04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Are you insinuating that it should be junked? The exterior looks way better than what I started with. So it needs floor boards, a bed floor and running boards.
My fenders were flopping in the breeze, door bottoms gone, hood rusted out, floorboards and steps shot... I even fixed a junk tailgate that had no bottom and severe rust pitting.
I had to look to see where you live, I would have guessed Arizona, but I was surprised to see Minnesota. Don't they use road salt there? We northerners are generally used to rust.

rockne10
04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
And...you would put a highly urethaned red oak floor in the bed anyway!:)

Milaca
04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Are you insinuating that it should be junked? The exterior looks way better than what I started with. So it needs floor boards, a bed floor and running boards.
My fenders were flopping in the breeze, door bottoms gone, hood rusted out, floorboards and steps shot... I even fixed a junk tailgate that had no bottom and severe rust pitting.
I had to look to see where you live, I would have guessed Arizona, but I was surprised to see Minnesota. Don't they use road salt there? We northerners are generally used to rust.

I'm very familiar with road salt and very familiar with severe rust but I would not consider tackling this project as Studebaker trucks in better condition are available for less money. Only a labor of love and someone very fond of metal working would bring this back to good condition.

Studedude
04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
lol I dont know why the seller even included pictures of those. They look like they would break if you touched them.

He had to choose between having folks wonder why he posted such honest pics, or being accused of hiding something if he didn't. ;)

ST2DE5
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Has there ever been a car posted on the forum that wasn't picked to death?

jimmijim8
04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
At least it's not one of those "which way to turn the lug nut posts" The truck right now is a POS by my standards. A person hell bent on restoring one such as this must have his head stuck in the sand or up his arsse. It ain't no secret that much better specimines are out there. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't be offended. Not a great day today. cheers jimmijim
Has there ever been a car posted on the forum that wasn't picked to death?

dean pearson
04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Poor thing.

Dean

Chris_Dresbach
04-15-2013, 11:50 PM
That could be fixed. The inportant "curvy" sheet metal parts are all there, what was eaten away could be replaced with flat stock. For a truck like that I could see making the bed and floor boards out of diamond plate and cover it with bed liner in the cab. Could make new running boards also out of thicker gauge diamond plate and paint them black like the ones for E series trucks. Paint the truck red, then give it a warmed up 289, 5 speed, new seats, new tires... It could happen. I know of a really cool hot rod '51 C cab flat bed that got that treatment. I think the price may be a little north for the condition the truck is currently in though.

Jessie J.
04-15-2013, 11:57 PM
A bit rough for restoration, but that makes it a very fitting start for a cool hot rod. Some 18 gauge, a mig welder and a weekend and it could have a new floor. Hot rods don't need running boards, ....or if desired they can be fabbed up simply, don't need to be NOS perfect duplicates.
There is still a lot of potential fun left in that old buggy, if one adjusts their vision to something other than a perfect restoration.

BobWaitz
04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Wow. I was ready to mock the original poster that my M5 was rustier when I started but I stand corrected!

Bordeaux Daytona
04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Too bad you can't buy a new cab like the one in the flier 53k posted.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?70721-Unusual-Studebaker-Items-2

zbutch
04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
It would take a labor of love to restore that truck but you have to appreciate anyone that would try because most of us hate to see another one gone forever.

Deaf Mute
04-16-2013, 06:44 PM
I tried to insert a photo of my project... but for some reason, nothing happens. Kinda like my trying to get the doors off the truck. I need more drill bits; instead of drilling out the screws, the bits dull! Stude did use quality screws!