TBI fuel system conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: TBI fuel system conversion

Hey guys. We are putting a V-8 out of a 1990 chevy truck into my 49 r5. We want to keep the studes gas tank cause the chevys is huge. Anyway we know we need to change the fuel pump and all of that. My question would be for the sending unit and gauge. Id like to keep the original gauges and im doing all i can do accomplish that. What do i need to do to get the gas gauge to work on this fuel system. I know i have to convert to 12 volt. But anything else with the sending unit?

If you change to 12 volts your current sending unit will work if you order a Runz voltage drop that will attach to your dash gauge. These units can be ordered from Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts at 785 632-3450 website www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yeh i figured the gauge would need that voltage reducer. So the rest of the mech. Will work 12 volt? Also i need a high pressure electronic fuel pump for the tbi set up. Will i need to do anything special there except run the lines and hook it up?

I guess the main concern is the sending unit itself working in the 12 volt system.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbodyman View Post
        Yeh i figured the gauge would need that voltage reducer. So the rest of the mech. Will work 12 volt? Also i need a high pressure electronic fuel pump for the tbi set up. Will i need to do anything special there except run the lines and hook it up?

I guess the main concern is the sending unit itself working in the 12 volt system.
        I believe that the GM TBI systems run about 15 PSI so just get the correct pump for the system. The TPI's run 45-50 PSI IIRC.

The two things you will need for the fuel pump is a good inlet and exit filter and a shut off switch even if you wire it into the ECM system. A roll over switch would be a good idea also. Just use the search function or Google it. The ford Taurus switch is usually used.

Bob

Comment

Make sure all rubber fuel hoses are fuel injection rated. Original grade hoses aren't rated to take pressure.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

hey gunslinger, Yeh we are. We actually have to get new stuff. The old studes stuff wasnt even really there, and the new motor had the fuel sending unit, and pump IN THE TANK. And since we arent using the tank, we need to get a new pump, and i'll just get all new line. Thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by Deadbodyman View Post
              hey gunslinger, Yeh we are. We actually have to get new stuff. The old studes stuff wasnt even really there, and the new motor had the fuel sending unit, and pump IN THE TANK. And since we arent using the tank, we need to get a new pump, and i'll just get all new line. Thanks though!
              Considering you have the OEM fuel pump setup, how about using that in the tank. I know the truck is different than my 54K and my pump was from a 9C1 Caprice but the flange on the plastic tank was steel. I just removed it from the Caprice tank, welded it to the 54K tank and put a sump under it as the tank wasn't deep enough. The OEM lines from the tank were a standard tubing size so I just went from a tubing compression fitting to SAE pipe to adapt the rubber hose.

That will give you the OEM pressure as well as the ability to find a fuel pump anywhere. The OEM last a long time as they are cooled by the fuel.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X