Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heya Folks! Just bought my first car, 1966 Commander... Now some help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heya Folks! Just bought my first car, 1966 Commander... Now some help...

Well, as I said I bought a 1966 Studebaker Commander.
    194 Cu. With Inline six cylinder, Chevy engine.
    Its a three on tree and I'm wondering if it has overdrive.
    Under the dash I have a number of knobs such as brake release, hood release and the knobs for the vents. Hoever there is a sliver pull knob (Like that for the hood) and it says "OD"
    I'm assuming that is my overdrive, Correct?

Lastly, How in the world do I drive it? Since it is a stick, without a way to see my rpm's.
    I haven't drove stick, and am learning for the Commander.

Well, I lied, I have a few more questions, if I may.
    What service manual would you recommend, and what is the best online part store you've found?
    I have found http://www.studebakerparts.com

Anyway, Thank you kindly. I have pictures upload of it.

First, a big hardy welcome to the forum! second, you have a fine car there & yes, that's the chrome overdrive handle you see at the bottom of the dash. It controls a cable that goes to the side of the transmission that engages/disengages the overdrive. Only move that control when at a stop. There is another switch on the throttle linkage that controls the overdrive kickdown. I'm not sure where exactly it is on the 6 but others will chime in too. My 66 Daytona came with overdrive but I removed it when I changed to engine to a 327 & 4 speed. Does your car have chrome or painted tail lamp bezels? Wide or narrow door sill plates? Those 2 are about the last changes Studebaker made before the end of production. Your vin# will be able to see where in the 66 production timeline it was made.

Once again, WELCOME
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Welcome, and great to have another 66 being enjoyed. You do have overdrive. If it's working properly, you need to have that silver knob pushed in to activate the overdrive. Your shift points will be easily figured out by listening to the engine and going through the gears. If you shift too soon the engine will bog down. If you run the RPM too high before shifting, you may feel the car lurch upon making the shift. It all takes practice, and after a few stops and starts it will become second nature. Running the car up to speed, say 40 or 50 MPH, lift your foot from the gas and it should go into overdrive. Pulling the silver OD knob out will disconnect the overdrive and this is useful when going downhill because the car will coast, freewheel, if the OD is activated. You need the engine braking and it will only work with the knob pulled out. I have not driven an OD in several years and I'm sure others will chime in with proper procedures too. I know I've missed some things. My 66 Daytona is a V8 automatic. Again, welcome and enjoy that Studebaker.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Would recommend you join the Studebaker Drivers Club. You will have many questions and the monthly magazine will answer most before you have the need to ask.

Leaving the "OD" cable pulled out will drive like a standard three-speed. Pushing the cable in will unlock the OD function. Upon exceeding a certain MPH, usually about 25-30 mph, if you release the accelerator you will feel the "lock" to direct drive, one to one; reducing the engine rpm by about 30%. To drop back to third gear push the accelerator and you should feel the downshift; it's not really a downshift, more like a gear reduction. Try it as well in second gear; accelerate to 25-30 in second and release the pedal. Second/over is excellent for entering the highway.
        With overdrive allowed (cable pushed in) you will also be free-wheeling. The engine compression will not be applied to the drive line to control a deceleration. If you are descending a hill you will be relying solely on your brakes. It's a good idea to lock out overdrive just before cresting so you can use your engine compression to help control your descent. DO NOT PULL THE CABLE OUT WHILE THE CAR IS IN MOTION UNLESS YOU DEPRESS THE CLUTCH !!!!! With free-wheeling allowed, you will also not be able to park the car in gear without applying the parking brake and expect it to stay where you put it. When you park, pull the OD cable out.
        Listen to your engine; especially its rpm's. You do not need a tach. It speaks to you. You know when it's screaming and when it's lugging.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah man - glad to have you here! Post pics

Get a genuine Studebaker service manual reprint from Studebaker International, Studebaker Parts Online, or any of our other vendors. They're available on CD too, as PDFs, for less cost if you like.

Folks were driving manual transmission cars loooooong before tachs became a common thing. Just listen to the engiine! It'll let you know when it's time to shift. Or, if you like, shift at certain speeds - 15 and 25 MPH are good shift points to start with, if your Overdrive is not engaged. You can adjust those as you get more comfortable with the car.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to the world of Studebakers!
            Yep, you have an overdrive handle there but I would not use it until you learn to drive a stick. You dont need a tachometer, but it helps to hear and feel the engine when running. Shifting at too low of RPM will make the engine chug and jerk and too many RPMs will make the engine scream for mercy. Get the car on a back road and practice. If you are lucky, your car may also have a 'hill-holder' which keeps the brakes engaged at a stop until you completely release the clutch pedal. This is a nice feature to have when stopped when headed up hill as it will keep you from accidentally rolling backwards when transitioning your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.
            As for parts, there are a few with websites with prices listed for comparrison and there are also other good vendors that will give you pricing over the phone. Many of these stores also offer reprints of the original Studebaker manuals. Some mechanical parts are also available from your local auto supply store.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Welcome! 3 on the tree is fun to drive. I had the opportunity to drive that style once. It was a customers truck at the time. I tried to be careful but let's just say it was hard to road test for a noise while listening to myself grind the gears... Ooops.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. As for parts I recommend Studebaker International.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

It is great that you have joined our world. There was a recent thread discussing how Studebakers handle. Many spoke highly of the 1966 model. You should get many miles of pleasure.
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Manuals

In order to get a complete set of manuals for your car, you will need to get the following: 59-64 Shop Manual, 59-64 Chassis Parts Catalog, 59-64 Body Parts Catalog- this will give a lot of basic info for your car, but you have a GM McKinnon engine and a few other body changes, so you will also need the 65/66 Shop Manual Supplement and the 65/66 Chassis and Body Parts Catalog. You can also get good used or a reprinted Owners Manual for your car. Enjoy!
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Go to the S.D.C. home page, look in the left column and the 4th listing down will locate the nearest chapter of Studebaker Drivers.

Comment

My first StudebKer was that exact car! I owned it for 16 years. That little Chevy six is a very good engine and with OD it makes it an even better deal. As for manuals, you will need the 65-66 supplement. It covers the Chevy specific items. The earlier 59-64 is used for the rest. The body and parts book is very helpful also and I would highly recommend you get one. Have fun with that car!!
                        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Hi, Ethan; welcome aboard. 'Not much to add to what has already been said, so enjoy the car. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The main thing to remember is to let out the clutch (just) until the car begins to move off then you can release it fully, otherwise the car will stall. Second tip is to use the hand brake (maybe called emergency brake in US speak?) if stopped on hills, when ready to move off slowly release the clutch and when it engages (and the car starts to move) release the brake and all will be well. Manual cars can move back a little before the clutch engages, a little scary at first but you soon get the hang of it.

I drove for nearly 20 years before learning to drive a manual (as I bought a manual van couldn't afford the auto) and one lesson had me confident in 30 minutes.
                            have fun with your '66 they were the last and were classy cars.
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Ethan - The first car I learned to drive on was a standard - and it was a three speed. It will operate the same way way as a gear shifter on the floor only it is right close to your steering wheel.

Here is the shift pattern for the three speed:

To the left of the picture is the steering wheel, to the right is the dash board. I bought my first Studebaker in 1993 - a '62 with 3sp/OD. One of the first things my dad taught me was to always park the car with the gear selector in R. That way the car will not roll in either direction.

Good luck and keep the questions flying. There are many folks around here.

OH - and how about some photos - can never see enough old Studebakers...
                              Last edited by 62champ; 04-14-2013, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X