Surprise encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise encounter

Visalia's a town of about 130K. We have most the major chains here, yet it's still small enough that alot of folks know alot of other folks - or so casual conversations seem to reveal. As such, I know most of the Studebaker folks here'bouts - and they know me. So when something new shows up, it's always interesting to learn about it and meet the associated persons.

About two weeks ago, the wife came home from an errand run and was anxious to ask if I'd seen a blue Avanti around town - I hadn't. There's been a few Avantis around here, but the last one (that's been seen on the road) was about 5 years ago - and I understood that it sold to some distant locale. There ARE several here'bouts that aren't runners - they just sit - one completely dismantled, parts reworked and collecting dust as they've waited 20 years to come back together! That one happens to be resting abouit half a mile from where I sit right now. My suspicions are that it'll sit there until it's part of an estate sale.

Anyways.... back to the blue one the wife saw. I'm coming home from an errand run yesterday and an held up by a traffic light. Whoa! Hey, there's that Avanti! It wheels thru the intersection and turns to head in the direction I'm going. OK, so I'm gonna follow him until he stops someplace - which ended up with me on the other side of town from where we were!
    Several times I'm right behind him (in a rice burner) and get to see how erratically his brake lites are functioning (or not).

So when we finally park at this storage facility, I'm out and introducing myself. I tell him what fun it is to watch this roadable artwork in motion. Of course, he likes such praise. And I proceed to lay it on as I'm walking around and peering inside. It's sort of a turquoise metallic with a cream interior - a '63 model. I ask if the "Supercharged" plaques on the fenders are telling the truth and he's all too willing to pop the hood and show off the orange huffer that excites the carb.

I observed that the taillights problems were likely with the turn signal switch (it was really floppy) and he countered that he'd had the brake light switch changed just last week. I explained that while that was all well and good, the erratic functions I saw whilst following would make me look to the TS switch for resolution. He did confess he wasn't aware the TS had anything to do with the brake lites.

So anyway, he's lusted for one since 1963 and finally found the money to live that dream. Good for him. One more Stude on the road - and a nice-looking one at that. OH - he allowed as how the car had come from Thousand Oaks, CA if anyone might remember such in that area.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Awesome stuff!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Cool beans, Bob. Did he happen to say where he bought it? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Cool beans, Bob. Did he happen to say where he bought it? BP
        BP, i took it from BK's post that it was from Thousand Oaks, Ca. - please correct me if i was wrong!

several folks here on the forum are located in the San Fernando Valley or nearby. hopefully more info will be coming forth soon.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

There was a pretty nice one floating around a few lots in that spec. The one I speak of was an R2 with a stick with fawn/turquoise interior. The front bumper was slightly mis-aligned, other than that, she was real purdy!!! I remember that she had Torque-Thrust D's on her as well. That one would have first appeared about 2 years ago and finally sold about 1 year ago. Initially the listing ran with 29k asking, eventually dropping to 21.5k.

Comment

That's the one!!! I was kind enough not to say anything about the mis-aligned front bumper. 4-spd, fawn and Torque-Thrusts.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I finally got a minute to look up the car in question (well, at least the one I'm thinking of) and found the listing thanks to our friend Bob Johnston;

My two older sons are both as in love with this car as I. Probably a good thing I couldn't afford it when it was up for sale, I'd be having to beat them back with a stick and .45 ACP if I wanted to drive my own car!

Tell your new found friend, if the old girl drips too much oil, he's welcome to park her in my driveway. I've got Brit bikes around here, unlimited supply of grease sweep kept here!

Comment

Working...
              X