Oil Pump gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Pump gears

Found an oil pump in my assortment of old parts that had a different spur gear configuration than I have ever seen before. This pump had 14 tooth gears that were helical ground. All of the other pumps and all Studebaker pumps I have ever seen before have 10 spur gears with straight cut.

Anyone know anything about this pump? specs, applications et? Any info would be appreciated.

Photo attached

Thanks

Ken Michael, Studebakers Only, Payson, AZ

Early Stude V8 engines used helical cut oil pump gears. Without looking at my parts book, I can't remember for sure when they went too the straight cut gears but I believe it was around '55.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

You are right on Paul. 51-54 232's, used a helical gear and floating pickup on their pumps. I use these on racing engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        You are right on Paul. 51-54 232's, used a helical gear and floating pickup on their pumps. I use these on racing engines.
        Alan....Can You elaborate on that? Do You feel the helical gears superior? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Alan....Can You elaborate on that? Do You feel the helical gears superior? Thanks
          Most definatly a smoother pressure delivery...but also MUCH costlier to produce>

Mike

Comment

Smoother pressure delivery, since there are more teeth. It is the pivoting pick up I like. I modified a later oil pump to use a BB Chev. oil pump gears. It has 20 teeth and is taller. Didn't seem to perform any better that a modified early pump. Except for the extra volume.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. Are there any test results and/or specs to support the comments about more pressure? It would seem to me that the larger space(volume) between gear teeth would allow a larger volume of oil per revolution of the pump gears than would smaller teeth with smaller space(volume). Thus a smaller volume capacity than the later model pump. Smoother delivery I can agree to since the pressure pulses per tooth passing would be less intense and more frequent.

Thanks again to all who responded.
              Ken

Comment

Working...
              X